Any tips for better air consumption/regulation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one of the most common questions asked by people, once they get through the "how do I control my buoyancy" phase of question-asking. :)

Attacking gas consumption by trying to change your breathing pattern consciously is not productive, and may even backfire. The problem with breathing is that you have to do as much of it as you have to do; trying to create a mismatch between your level of exertion and your breathing rate just results in bad things, discomfort and anxiety.

How much gas you need to run through your lungs in a given period of time is entirely set by the body's intense need to keep the arterial carbon dioxide level within a very tightly controlled range. CO2 is a product of metabolism, so the more you are metabolizing, the more CO2 you are making, and the more air you have to run through your lungs to get rid of it. So how can a diver control their metabolism? You can't turn the rheostat down, so all you can do is minimize the muscle you are using, so you aren't doing any more work than necessary.

The ideal diver can hang in the water for as long as he wants, until he wants to go somewhere or change his position. Then he makes a few efficient movements with his fins, creates the change he wants, and goes back to doing nothing. The new diver can almost never do this, because this degree of stability requires both control of posture, and a degree of adjustment of equipment. The posture involves keeping one's body long and flat from the shoulders to the knees, with the head up, and the knees bent to whatever degree is desired or comfortable, or balances the diver's weight. If a diver drops his head, he will tend to go head-down, and if he bends at the hips so that his knees drop beneath his body, he will tend to rotate head up (which is the usual thing seen with new divers). This is aggravated by gear setups that involve heavy weight belts, or lots of weight in integrated pockets set at waist level.

If the diver is in a position with head up and feet down, then what happens if he kicks? He heads up in the water column. Most of the time, that isn't desired -- the diver simply wants to continue forward along whatever structure he is observing. So how does he avoid moving steadily shallower? By keeping himself negative, so that the force causing him to sink is balancing the upward force being generated by his kick. Well, the net result here is that the diver is exerting a great deal of effort for no net displacement at all! He can't stop kicking, because he will sink, and he can't get neutral, because then he will rise. The answer is to fix the angle, so that any kicking he does propels him where he wants to go, and he can remain neutral as long as he wants to stay at the same depth.

The next step is to realize that sea life depends heavily on camouflage for survival, which means that moving rapidly underwater causes you to miss an awful lot of what is there. Moving slowly allows you to pick up on spots of color, changes of outline or small movements that betray the position of the critters you want to see. Moving slowly also reduces muscle activity and therefore gas consumption.

Only when you have become stable and begun to move with careful purpose, is it productive to address breathing pattern. At that point, you can work on slow and slightly deeper than usual respirations, more of the breathing pattern one might use during a meditation session. Too deep and too slow, and you will begin to see buoyancy swings during your breathing cycle. Too shallow and too rapid, and you are wasting most of the gas on the large airways (trachea and major bronchi) that don't participate in gas exchange.

Time spent balancing your equipment so that you can hover in a horizontal position is time well spent, and time spent developing a good, effective kick with no bicycling component to it is time well spent, too.

Awww I was so ready to launch into the physiology related to breathing... but TSandM's explanation is much more elegant than mine would have been :wink:

The only bit I can add goes along with the exercise suggestion - I've noticed that my air consumption becomes noticeably better when i'm doing some regular lap swimming. I'm not exactly an olympic level swimmer either, but the aerobic benefit and regular breathing patterns that you use when lap swimming seem to help! I suppose running would work too.... but I really hate running...

Excellent information above! Just to give it a little more perspective....

Your metabolism controls your breathing, yes. And "relax" is the #1 answer most people will give you, along with "dive a lot" as advice for improving air consumption. These are all linked, believe it or not. When you're feeling stress (i.e., "not relaxed"), your heart rate goes up, your whole body gets tense (in preparation for "fight or flight"), and as a consequence your breathing rate goes up. Experience diving helps you get past stress so that you can "breathe easier" so to speak. If you are willing to do some non-scuba training to work on relaxation, try some yoga breath control exercises. Actually learning how to breathe effectively (which yoga does a great job of helping you learn) reduces stress. There are many published research studies attesting to the fact that the practice of yoga promotes a physiological response that is the opposite of the stress and fight-or-flight response. So yes, conscious breath control can help, but you have to go about it in the right way.

You should focus consciously on not swimming with your arms. When I get my students to stop waving their arms around under water, their air consumption improves dramatically and immediately, from one dive to the next. Think about how much muscle you need to activate to wave a hand--the arm muscles are a no brainer, but you also need shoulder, back and chest muscles. And all that muscle effort gets you nowhere underwater in terms of propulsion. Use only the long muscles from your hips to your feet and keep the rest still.

And as others have pointed out, you have to avoid pushing a bunch of water out of the way ahead of you by staying as close to horizontal as you can, and you have to make sure that each fin kick propels you in the direction you want to go so that you don't waste energy.

Finally, if that's you in your avatar photo, you look like you've got some large lungs on you. Keep in mind that the larger your lung capacity, the more air you will pull from your air tank with each breath. Even if you breathe completely in sync with your dive buddy, if that buddy has significantly smaller lungs, you will still always use your air up faster. Get a bigger tank to even things out.

@Quero, yep thats me in my avatar photo.. that was on the boat ride back from the USS Strength out in Panama City Beach, FL. Just finished my 2nd boat dive for the day, and we were just chillin out on the ride back to the dock.

Some great info and advice in these posts.

I'm not the best on air and was particularly bad in my early dives. A couple of experiences that helped me improve...

- I simply used to do too much on a dive. Swimming around too much. A buddy in Egypt challenged me not to overtake him at all during a dive. If I failed, I would have to buy the beer all evening. Result, I stayed behind him all dive, he bought the beer and my consumption improved around 15% instantly. Lesson learned.

- a couple of posters have mentioned arm movement. This is very important. Using your arms simply pumps your chest/lungs. This really uses up your air. I fixed my bad habit by clasping my hands together. My regular buddy folds his across his chest. Both methods work.

- if you are in clear water, a useful device is to dive a meter or so shallower than your buddy. It can Make a helpful difference.

- finally go for a bigger tank. But don't forget to take some lead off or you'll end up overweighted.

Hope this is helpful.

The above posts are a great primmer on the topic. It really comes down to dive better and relax.

Dive Better? Be still and move efficiently. Scuba diving practiced well is about as close as you want to be to anaerobic, wasted energy is wasted air.

Relax? Dive within your training or better yet your comfort zone. You can and will expand this over time. Be in the right exposure protection so you are comfortable and not thermally stressed.

Try to make shallow dives. Bottom time is your friend and staying in the first 30 feet or less is the simplest way to get the time under you need to polish up.

Pete

I wrote a piece on this subject for scubadiverlife.com that I entitled Will I Always be an Air Sucker? Let me share a few of the comments here:

... Variations among divers in gender, body size, body type, activity in the water, and experience as a diver all impact air consumption rates. ... Some people, by reason of their body size, particularly lung capacity, will breathe through their air faster than others, no matter how experienced they are. Not everyone uses up their air at the same rate. ..You can, through good diving practices, reduce your air consumption. Here are some tips to help you do that and increase your bottom time.

1) Check your weighting. If you go through air faster than everyone else, there is a real good chance you are over-weighted or under-weighted. Properly weighted, you will exert less effort during a dive, you will maintain neutral buoyancy with less adjustment of air in and out of your bcd or wing, and you will use less air.
2) Trim your buoyancy often through adding or venting air in small increments from your bcd or wing. ... Maintain neutral buoyancy and you will use a lot less air. Remember that variations in depth during a dive will cause the air in your bcd or wing to compress or expand, impacting buoyancy. If you are overweighted and carrying a lot of air in your bcd or wing, then the effect is more pronounced. Once you are properly weighted, still trim your buoyancy often.
3) Move less. You will move less if you are properly weighted and trim your buoyancy often. But you will still burn air if you are swimming from place to place and back again, chasing fish you will never catch, or lagging behind the group and speeding to catch up. .. Stop and smell the coral. Look for pretty little things under ledges. Don’t be in constant motion. The less you move, the more you will see, and the less air you will breathe.
4) Monitor your depth regularly. Even depth variations of a couple of meters can impact air consumption substantially. .. Often divers are distracted by something they see and do not pay attention to their depth. A dive planned to 80 feet is shortened when the inattentive diver is suddenly at 95 feet , or even deeper. Whether due to distraction or poor buoyancy control, descending deeper than planned will cause rapid air depletion. Monitor your depth and maintain the planned profile.
5) Stay (or move to) a few meters above the rest of the group. If during a dive you notice that you are going through air quicker than the others on the dive, consider ascending a couple of meters. As noted above, it can make a measurable difference in your air consumption.

DivemasterDennis

It's pretty normal to be excited or even a bit anxious at the beginning of your first dives -- I still have that feeling when I'm diving somewhere unfamiliar to me, and that's after seven years of diving. You will become more relaxed as you build experience, but a little tiny bit of anxiety or nervousness keeps you careful and respectful of the water.

With regards to the "big lungs" thing -- although a very large person may have a slightly larger dead space than a smaller one (and therefore, a slightly higher amount of mandatory wasted ventilation) it is quite possible for a large person who is efficient, to use less gas than a smaller person who is not. One of my favorite dive buddies is six feet tall and male (therefore more muscle mass), and I'm 5'4" and female (therefore, in theory, likely to use less gas) and I turn all the dives with Ben on MY gas. Another of my favorite dive buddies is NW Grateful Diver, who is about 5'9" or so and carries, as he would put it, a bit of "bioprene", and Bob's gas consumption and mine are almost identical. It's metabolism, but even more, it's efficiency.

I wrote a piece on this subject for scubadiverlife.com that I entitled Will I Always be an Air Sucker? Let me share a few of the comments here:

3) Move less. You will move less if you are properly weighted and trim your buoyancy often. But you will still burn air if you are swimming from place to place and back again, chasing fish you will never catch, or lagging behind the group and speeding to catch up. .. Stop and smell the coral. Look for pretty little things under ledges. Don’t be in constant motion. The less you move, the more you will see, and the less air you will breathe.

DivemasterDennis

I agree, but when you dive with a group and you have to follow a dive master in a typical warm water dive you often don't have the 'luxury' to swim slowly because you may end up getting separated from the group unless you have your own private DM or you dive with your buddy without using a diving operation. In my experience of tropical water diving it's a real challenge to balance the two. My buddy and I prefer to dive with small groups. We talk to the dive master about letting us to be more independent from the group after the DM checks us out during the first dive. So far we have been able to reach a reasonable compromise that make everybody happy and help us to reduce our air consumption. However I have been diving for several years now and I go diving almost every week at home. For beginners divers it can be tough...unless they use bigger tanks, which are rarely available in the majority of diving operations.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2013 at 10:33 AM ----------

It's pretty normal to be excited or even a bit anxious at the beginning of your first dives -- I still have that feeling when I'm diving somewhere unfamiliar to me, and that's after seven years of diving. You will become more relaxed as you build experience, but a little tiny bit of anxiety or nervousness keeps you careful and respectful of the water.

With regards to the "big lungs" thing -- although a very large person may have a slightly larger dead space than a smaller one (and therefore, a slightly higher amount of mandatory wasted ventilation) it is quite possible for a large person who is efficient, to use less gas than a smaller person who is not. One of my favorite dive buddies is six feet tall and male (therefore more muscle mass), and I'm 5'4" and female (therefore, in theory, likely to use less gas) and I turn all the dives with Ben on MY gas. Another of my favorite dive buddies is NW Grateful Diver, who is about 5'9" or so and carries, as he would put it, a bit of "bioprene", and Bob's gas consumption and mine are almost identical. It's metabolism, but even more, it's efficiency.

One of the first things that I heard while taking my OW classes was that females use less air the males. I felt relieved and happy....In reality, to begin with I ended up using far more air than my male buddy and I was pretty frustrated about it. It's only now, after 4 years, that my air consumption has miraculously gone down and now we almost use the same amount of air and sometimes I use far less than him. Last summer I went backpacking by myself several times. It was an experience that made me realize more clearly that I am a person who is prone to anxiety. I guess that must be one major reason why my air consumption is still pretty high...(but then how high is high and low is low? are there any fixed standards that a diver should strive to?). My anxiety level is more settled that it used to be. I reduce it by choosing dives that are suitable for my skills level and push the 'anxiety boundaries in the attempt to improve my skills one little step at a time. Maybe I will never get rid of it completely and I have to come to terms that my diving skills will be able to go so far.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2013 at 10:37 AM ----------

Take up a free diving class. It did wonder for my air consumption rate, practically cut it in half.

Interesting that you mention that. I have started to do some breathing exercise when I go swimming. It seems to me that my lungs 'feel' better. For instance after swimming a lap underwater I am not so short of breath anymore...

Interesting that you mention that. I have started to do some breathing exercise when I go swimming. It seems to me that my lungs 'feel' better. For instance after swimming a lap underwater I am not so short of breath anymore...

It's more than just exercising the lung and the metabolism. It's about achieving a zen state of mind. If you can swim across the bottom of an olympic swimming pool with one breath and not freaking out...it's cool. I used to feel a bit apprehensive whenever I went into the water without scuba gear on. Now, it doesn't matter. SCUBA gear means just that I can stay down longer because I know that I can survive just fine on one breath of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom