Was it the yoke fitting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScotty561

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Titan lx and use a hp steel 100 tank. I recently went on a dive where the first dive was about 75 feet and I thought it was a little tough to breath for about half the dive but didn't think much of it. I then did my second dive around 88 feet and yes I know deepest dive first but that's what the boat did so yeah but anyways so I'm at 88 feet using an aluminum 80 and it breathed amazing. Was it because the yoke fitting isn't really made for a hp fill like 3800-4000 psi and that's why it was hard to breath? Thinking about switching my Titan lx to a din fitting. Thanks

The yoke and DIN are ways to mechanically attach the regulator to the tank valve, it makes no difference in how a regulator breathes.

This was definitely something else.

I have a Titan lx and use a hp steel 100 tank. I recently went on a dive where the first dive was about 75 feet and I thought it was a little tough to breath for about half the dive but didn't think much of it. I then did my second dive around 88 feet and yes I know deepest dive first but that's what the boat did so yeah but anyways so I'm at 88 feet using an aluminum 80 and it breathed amazing. Was it because the yoke fitting isn't really made for a hp fill like 3800-4000 psi and that's why it was hard to breath? Thinking about switching my Titan lx to a din fitting. Thanks

Using a din or yoke should not make any difference on the resistance for your second stage. Where din makes a difference is the head clearance at your head and valve Location as well as the pressure on the oring . Oring pressure should not be a concern at your tank pressure for a al 80. I would not think you would want to fill a al 80 to 4000 psi. I am not 100 % sure as i use steel but i believe That a al80 is rated at 3000 psi check the valve to make sure. I know my one hp Al tank is only rated for 3450 and even for a hp tank 4000 psi warm pressure reading is a bit high

i would think your difference on the two dives was one your excitement of the first dive causing you to over breath your rig or you had the predive switch tuned down

The fitting has nothing to do with how the regulator breathes. If your regulator breathed poorly on the first dive with one tank and fine on another dive with a different tank, the problem was likely with the valve on the first tank, like maybe it was not open all the way or something was restricting the air. This is something that is far more noticeable at depth.

Even the high pressure (really 3800-4000? that sounds like an exaggeration to be honest) would not make a difference, because the titan 1st stage is balanced and will produce the same IP regardless of tank pressure.

The fitting has nothing to do with how the regulator breathes. If your regulator breathed poorly on the first dive with one tank and fine on another dive with a different tank, the problem was likely with the valve on the first tank, like maybe it was not open all the way or something was restricting the air. This is something that is far more noticeable at depth.

Even the high pressure (really 3800-4000? that sounds like an exaggeration to be honest) would not make a difference, because the titan 1st stage is balanced and will produce the same IP regardless of tank pressure.

not uncommon in Florida at least.

Test pressure on the special permit HP tanks is about 5250, so you're still well below that, but it's got to be tough on the tank to get regularly filled to that pressure, it's also possible that it's tough on some parts of the 1st stage. I'm all for overfills, but I'd be a little hesitant about 4K PSI.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter for this thread, the point is that the fill or the yoke fitting would not have affected the regulator's performance.

Back
Top Bottom