Is GUE Fundies right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Zach, I'm Mike, and we have a small GUE/DIR crew up here in San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio. One of our guys is in the AF at Lackland, another is National Guard, and I'm prior Army, so I get it when you say that military types tend to be drawn to this training/philosophy.

As it warms up, if you wanna go diving, let me know, and we'll hit the water, either here or down there. We run a dive shop here, (most all of us are also dive instructors) and we run local trips fairly regularly, and we enjoy going down to Amistad, so it would be easy to go to you as well.

In March, we've got Bob Sherwood coming down to do a Fundies class, and if there is interest, we'll be offering a Primer class as well. A great way to get exposed to the philosophy and not have too much time and money invested, (in case you don't take to it). If nothing else, we're looking at offering a "Tweak night" where anyone can show up, with all your own gear, (so no need to buy a complete setup), and get yourself "tweaked" in the water with Bob or one of our team members.

It will also allow you to meet fellow GUE divers and see if this is really for you. We're a good bunch, (yet small in number), and have a blast diving together.

And this last bit is true; you don't have to only dive with GUE/DIR people. I'm a dive instructor, so I'll dive with anyone, (unless you prove yourself to be unsafe, and I mean REALLY unsafe). That said, diving with a solid team where everyone is on the same page and trained to the same standard and can act as one unit, well it spoils you. Think flying a finger-four formation with three other pilots from various units, versus a finger-four of Thunderbirds or Blue Angels. Yeah, you get spoiled.

Hit me up whenever you wanna go out or just meet up and get to know the crew.

Mike

Agree with what others have said, except I'm not a male or an elitist ;-).

Have you had a chance to read: "Doing It Right, the Fundamentals of Better Diving"? It's available on gue.com and offers a great introduction to GUE training/diving: Books | Global Underwater Explorers.

The Scubaboards DIR forum is a good place to connect with divers interested in GUE diving: DIR

Zach,

Good choice on taking the GUE Fundies course. Whether you dive strictly with GUE/DIR or everyday rec divers, YOU will be a better diver for taking the training.

Look into MWRs for diving opportunities. Most MWRs near water should have scuba diving day excursions. I have seen MWR trips to the Red Sea, the Med, South Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico, many fresh water lakes around the world, etc. This is what MWRs do…find ways for service members to relax and enjoy themselves. Once you get to your permanent duty station check out the local MWR and dive operations. If your MWR does not offer diving, suggest it to them.

Good luck with your training (both military and recreational). :D

~Oldbear~

:banana::banana::banana:

If you are a "elitist" type of guy with a chip on your shoulder, then GUE is just the thing for you!

Hmm. I guess I went the wrong way, then.

As others have said, improving your own diving skills (which is a lot of the Fundamentals class) will only serve you well diving with anyone. Yes, skills atrophy with disuse -- but you'll be better on any given dive, if you atrophied from a higher level :)

Rob is absolutely spot-on about the delight of being part of a global organization that's highly standardized. I have gotten in the water with people I had never met before in a whole variety of places, and had seamless, fun dives, because we were all on the same page.

And the only elitist people with chips on their shoulders I have met in the GUE world, live in the stories of non-GUE people. Even some folks who may come across a bit that way on ScubaBoard are not really like that when you meet them for real.

And the only elitist people with chips on their shoulders I have met in the GUE world, live in the stories of non-GUE people. Even some folks who may come across a bit that way on ScubaBoard are not really like that when you meet them for real.

I am predominantly Padi and TDI trained. I don't anticipate ever doing GUE-F. I can honestly say that I have never encountered GUE elitism. I've buddied up with GUE folk on dives (both recreational and technical) the pre-dive planning is a little longer to agree team procedures (e.g. Cookies on the line and gas switching) but thereafter they have been great buddies. Maybe I just know a nice bunch of GUE guys, but they seem happy enough to take their Padi friend along. Certainly there has been no elitism cause I'm Padi.

Slightly off topic but you might wanna check out UTD too. Their HQ is in SoCal, and if you go UTD route, you get arguably the best trainer of them all :wink:

Kathydee, great recommendation. I'll sit down with it this weekend and have a read-through! Randytay, I will read up on UTD for sure, and 50Fathom, I am just about to start a new phase of training, so expect to hear from me soon once I get settled into the new schedule.

Greetings Zach,

There are several of us GUE instructors who are also ex-military and it may be useful to have our perspective since this is where you are in your life. Drop me a line at gs@gue.com and I will be happy to continue this conversation.

Best,

Guy

Kathydee, great recommendation. I'll sit down with it this weekend and have a read-through! Randytay, I will read up on UTD for sure, and 50Fathom, I am just about to start a new phase of training, so expect to hear from me soon once I get settled into the new schedule.

Dont just read up, if you are in SoCal, specifically San Diego, go pay them a visit. The guy who founded it was the former training director of GUE. Most of the big guns of GUE today was trained by him. Talk to both groups and see which group you feel more comfortable with.

I thought about doing GUE fundies to see if I could learn something new but the black skirted mask thing and the no split-fins thing just won't work with me.

Back
Top Bottom