Is GUE Fundies right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZachB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yes yes I know this is quite the topic to start my SB career off with :D And I do realize this has been asked before, but I haven't found a topic that answers a couple very specific questions I have.

I am interested in taking a Fundies course sometime this year and have read the supplementary materials I found online. The reason I want to take the GUE course is to sharpen my skills and overall become a much safer and more structured diver. I am familiar with the DIR philosophy, and I love its holistic approach. Perhaps it is because I am currently in USAF pilot training, but I find myself seeking more and more a structured and stringent approach to how I dive and how I live to dive. Also, equipment is not a problem. Anybody who is familiar with the military might know that single lieutenants stuck on a training base all week have a need for ways to spend their money! If anything, altering my existing gear with the necessary equipment to meet the course requirements will provide me with spares to loan to dive buddies.

That, however, brings me to my first concern. I know that a Fundies course can benefit anyone, whether they stay with GUE or choose not to adopt the DIR philosophy. Let's ignore that for a second though and assume that I drink the koolaid :wink: Being in the Air Force, I have to take what I can get as far as opportunities to dive goes. Should I be concerned about taking a DIR based course when I will rarely be diving with DIR divers?

Here is my second main concern. While I hope to have more opportunities to dive once I graduate pilot training, the occasions will still be sporadic at best, perhaps every one or two months. I worry that I will take this great course and become a much better diver for it, but then those skills will rust away due to my inability to dive at the pace I was able to last summer (3 to 5 times per week). Also, I heard in a video that there is a requirement to show proof of continuing maintenance of these skills. Is this true?

Thanks for your patience, everyone! I hope some of you diving gurus can offer me some advice.

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your questions (and for your service). To hopefully provide some answers, I think that actually on point #1, that is actually one of the huge strengths of joining the GUE community; that no matter where you end up, you can find like-minded divers to easily integrate and dive with at whatever your level of training. I have traveled to, and dived seamlessly with GUE divers at all levels (tech, cave, etc), in or from all kinds of far-flung locations including the Philippines, Bonaire, Mexico, Florida, Belgium, UK, Russia, etc. Here in Monterey, we have had the good fortune to have hosted several GUE-trained USAF members from Travis, Army members at DLI, and USN and USMC personnel at the Naval Postgraduate School during their tours.

All of our certifications are expiring, as we strongly believe that sustained experience is important in maintaining proficiency (much like logging flight hours). At the diver level, we do require that you show 25 dives (e.g. dive log) at your highest training level every three years in order to renew your certifications; there is no formal evaluation. We require instructors to renew their experience yearly, and formally requalify via evaluation every 3 years.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions. Feel free to get in touch if you have additional questions and/or would like assistance organizing a class.

thanks
-Rob Lee (rhl@gue.com)

You absolutely helped, and 25 dives every three years is definitely something I can meet. I do have one last question. If I take the course this year, which I want to after reading your reply, it would most likely be at home in Southern CA. I know Los Angeles has a couple of GUE dive centers, but I'd like to get in contact with the instructors personally. Do you happen to know any from that area, and if you do could you message me their contact info? Thanks so much again.

-Zach

GUE's clear procedures and protocols are what drew me to this type of diving. Adherence to checklist and procedural discipline are some of the commonalities with the flying/aircrew world. The "Boldface" procedures are the same and so are the levels of performance. In my experience this makes it very easy for geographically separated units to come together and operate as a team regardless of where they are from. It's like when crews from different wings rainbow to operate a multi place aircraft... or just operating with an active duty/reserve crew. The standardization is in place and works. I've dove with many visiting divers here in Monterey with great success because we are all on the same page training and procedure wise.

As far as your diving life after pilot training there's certainly some bases that are better than some for diving. If you have a long weekend there are some GUE guys in San Marcos just North of San Antonio. My old buddy is there and they have access to a pool as well. I'm sure I can talk him into inviting you on one of their dives when they happen.

ZachB:

First Question: Say you drink and accept the Koolaid, yet do not find opportunities to dive with other Koolaid lovers. It simply doesn't matter. The course will make YOU a better diver. It does make it easier when everyone is on the same page but it should not prohibit you from enjoying your diving.

Second Question: Yes, the ability to efficiently perform tasks degrades without practice. This is true of diving as well. However you regain your composure very quickly and usually within a dive or two. Sometimes you figure it out shortly into the dive. Yes, there is a minimum requirement to maintain GUE certification. There was a period where I became relatively inactive as a diver and still managed to get in twenty five dives in three years.

The course offers you a new perspective on diving methodologies. If you don't like the Koolaid then don't drink it but approach it with an open mind. There are plenty of GUE trained divers in my area (heck even met a few of them in Lake Tahoe as I was riding my bike). So far, I don't believe I have found a single student that did not find, the skills they learned in the GUE Fundies, useful. Yup, I drank and I liked the Koolaid. Sold on the Koolaid.

The training is top notch and will make you a better diver, a team diver. I sure learned a lot from the class and had great instructors.

There is no law that says you have to dive with only GUE trained folks. There are plenty of people who make good buddies. Most of the people I dive with are not trained by GUE, but do learn good diving protocols, and are willing to do the pre-dive briefing, along with buddy checks. Many also dive BP/W's with long hoses too. I dive a lot with my girlfriend who has no desire to do any technical diving, but understands the why's of her gear configuration, and how team diving works. Of course diving with GUE trained buddies works most excellent.

GUE have awesome instructors that will add value. However, diving is like any sport. If you don't practice (like golf) on a regular basis you will not grow or develop those skills further. My point is thus, if you take a GUE course and don't practise your sport regularly, IMO you are going to waste big $$.

There are many no-GUE instructors that will give you the same at half the price. If you plan on only doing recreational diving I would rather find such an instructor/mentor that can spend time with you to develop the skill you require.

Flame-suite on!! If you are a "elitist" type of guy with a chip on your shoulder, then GUE is just the thing for you!

Thanks for the input everyone. It has been extremely helpful. Because of some of you I have been put in contact with people whose brains I hope to pick! Because I have a few months before I'll even have time to take leave, I think I will spend this period learning as much as possible and getting in contact with the instructors at home before I decide where to go from there!

Back
Top Bottom