To Mark or ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

latestartfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
First, this is not to just anyone named "Mark." :D

Y'all, I'm almost there. Some of you know I've asked so many questions here that we've all lost count. I'm just waiting for the medical clearance and I'm ready to dive in, literally!

My question is, as I've been acquiring bits of equipment here and there (after EXTENSIVE research), do divers mark their equipment, and if so, how? Waterproof tape, permanent markers, tags, name & address, name and email, name and phone, etc.?

Or maybe you just take it all with you...?

Thanks in advance! and counting down to Jan 9 (med exam)...

LSF
:coffee:

I mark EVERYTHNG I have, even my markers. Just my last name, but it's very unique. I use a black sharpie, and a silver sharpie to mark the black equipment. I even use a drimmell to mark my double-enders. Gear often looks alike. And if you leave something at a site or a boat, at least it has a chance of finding its way home.

Mike

Things that may get away from me get my phone number.

I keep a log of all serials numbers etc. In case recovered stuff ever needs to be identified.

Things like weights that may get shared have initials done with a paint pen.

Pete

Definitely want to mark your stuff---it all looks the same so you want yours to stand out.

For expensive stuff I've been told it's a good idea to put your drivers license on it---if it finds its way into police hands they can look it up and contact you.

All of the easily portable stuff is marked. I have p-touch labels on light canisters and gauges, and on my first stages. I have surfboard decals on my Jet fins (and my Dive Rite fins, too). I haven't bothered to mark stuff like my BC (the crossed Halcyon straps are a clue) or my dry suit (the p-valve and throughport for the heating vest are distinctive).

Mark everything you would like to have back if it gets lost or mistakenly taken by another diver with similar gear.

I've marked every piece of gear with my bunny and callsign, with a few exceptions. Some pieces I've marked with my full name and phone number.
My BC isn't marked, but my reg is. My gear is pretty custom, so I can spot it even among the same bunch of models. If I have to ditch it, it's going to be connected to the marked reg.

I use colored paint pens in ultra fine and fine points. If the Paint pen doesn't take too well or rubs off, I use a silver sharpie.

I mark everything with either my initials or some goofy statements. I use paint pens, black markers and the rubber goo as applicable.

Back
Top Bottom