Manado - Tasik Ria next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphJr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting so excited it is time to travel next week. Our LDS - AquaSports has organized this trip from Fresno CA USA to Manado Indonesia. There will be around 25 of us converging at Tasik Ria on Jan 12 for 8 days of diving. From Fresno we'll drive to LAX the night before we fly out to - Japan - Singapore - Manado via Singapore Airlines 40 + hours of traveling............ uugh.

My old Samsonite clamshell suitcase that has housed my dive gear on trips all over the world finaly broke a wheel coming back from Belize so I bought a new Hays carbonite spinner. I don't think it will last as long as that Samsonite but only time will tell. It is lighter, in fact it is 5 pounds lighter at 44 pounds fully loaded. I am going to unpack it and repack it just to make sure I am not forgetting something. I did intentionally leave my gloves out since I never use them in tropical waters but they don't weigh 5 pounds.

I have really lightened my gear since traveling to Austraila in 2006 by about 30 pounds. Cameras and housings have all been scaled down. I don't sell my vids or photos so I don't bring lights anymore. The Bonica Snapper 1080HD does a commendable job with a wide angle lens and a red filter. I usually end up with more footage than I am willing to edit into a DVD when I get home. In fact I only take the camera down on a third of the dives now; too many times my wife (dive partner) will be telling me about all the stuff I missed seeing after a dive because I was looking through a camera lens for something to take a photo of!

I will post a trip report sometime after I get home

Sampai ketemu

Make sure that your group has Pono Fals( works in the dive shop) do a little concert for you one night after you are through with dinner. He is an amazing singer and guitar player. If you want to bring any of the workers gifts bring him some music CD's. He learns the music and words from the CD's. It was one of the highlights of our trip there! Also, our dive guide was Noldy and he was AMAZING! Have fun! If possible, upgrade to one of their newly refurbished beach front bungalows!

Dear Ralph,

I do not want to spoil your pre holiday fun. And I do hope that the wave predictions are wrong for the coast of Manado. Badan Meteorologi Klimatologi dan Geofisika - BMKG
The good news is, that you always can come to Lembeh Strait

Jake11:
What kind of Music?

Indah:

Yeah, as USA west coast divers we have to negotiate moderate seas as a matter of course but after two meters I usually just negotiate the resort pool and a pina colada! You really cannot do much about the weather. We had to sit out a huricane in Cozumel once. Who knows we may all be on a bus to the leeward side.

---------- Post added January 7th, 2013 at 12:32 PM ----------

Does anyone know what singers or band's CDs would be good for Pono Fals?

Just for future reference.. Pono Fals does not work at Tasik Ria anymore. He now works for Celebes divers. If you happen to be going to Manado and diving with Celebes Divers and WANT to bring him CD's. He said the following ...[h=5]whatever you bring CD for me, I like every music,you can put like America song, cats stevan,Bob Daylan,etc.[/h]Sorry that it took me too long to get back to you RalphJr. Hope your trip was great!

Looking forward to the trip report! I have a prize trip with Tasik Ria that I will take some time this year so it will be great to know what to expect. Thanks!

See the report on a new thread posted to this forum "Tasik Ria and Tasik Diver Report"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom