Galapagos; is it really worth $5k US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, guess I'm completely in the minority here. Just not worth it to me, based on my experience...which was on a LOB that dove almost exclusively at Wolf and Darwin, albeit off season for whale sharks AND in comparing the experience to several to the Socorros which was at half the price. I wouldn't say 5k was an all-in price for the Galapagos (not considering any special discounted trip)..you've got a good near 2k additional in airfare to Quito/Guayaquil with the expensive domestic ticket out to the Islands, along with national park fees, etc. I think around 7k might be closer...and the way I described it to friends when I returned was what do you have to see in just 16 dives to make 7k worth it?? While I heard great things about Isabela, and regret not being on a boat that went there, I am among what I think it a large group of divers that have to think multiple times about spending that type of money for a weeks holiday..for that amount you can do better than a month in Asia!

Although there was one poster who also mentioned the Socorros, I'm wondering how many people who were willing to spend Galapagos-type of money had also been there, and may be basing the "worth it" part on it being the one destination in the world they'd been to with schooling hammerheads, large schools of other sharks, etc. You'd get all that, plus multiple manta encounters, in the Socorros. While it doesn't carry the same reputation for whale sharks as the Galapagos, it's remains the only place I've seen one on scuba, and in both trips I had at least 5 dives each trip with dolphins on scuba, something I've rarely had in 1500 other dives all over the world. i have been to the Socorros twice and the Galapagos only once, admittedly, and who knows maybe I caught the worst week all year, but my trip there was quite a disappointment in comparison to the Socorros in what I saw, not just having to think about how much money I spent.

Topside the Galapagos is beautiful, as is all of Ecuador, but as a dive destination for 5-7k for a weeks worth of diving, for the original question asked of "is it worth it," I'll be the minority voice here apparently and say "no." I won't be going back there unless it's whale shark season and I've won the lottery or something. Check out the Socorro's instead for half the cost and 4-5 more dives and far closer to home.

Topside the Galapagos is beautiful, as is all of Ecuador, but as a dive destination for 5-7k for a weeks worth of diving, for the original question asked of "is it worth it," I'll be the minority voice here apparently and say "no." I won't be going back there unless it's whale shark season and I've won the lottery or something. Check out the Socorro's instead for half the cost and 4-5 more dives and far closer to home.

Thanks, going to do that.

Def not worth the risk in May/June.

But would be keen to go back in October.

There day boats that can do the same 3 dives a day in galapagos that liveaboards do. Has anyone had experience with those?

There day boats that can do the same 3 dives a day in galapagos that liveaboards do. Has anyone had experience with those?

I believe liveaboards are back to 4 dives per day now.

Wow, some pretty cool footage....

Going to South America in April/May/June and keen to do a liveaboard in the Galapagos.
But is it really that great?
I think its 16/17 dives for $5000US.
Not whale shark season, but I think Hammerheads are seen all year around.

Should I do it, or go back another time?

Not fussed about the islands themselves so much, just the diving.

cheers

I´ve returned from two weeks diving trip (land based) to Galapagos and let me tell you diving here is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! (and I´ve dove in many places like the Red Sea, Spidan Island, Phillipines, Raja Ampat, Bali, lot of the Caribbean). Galapagos is now on the top of my diving list. A piece of advice I´ve talked to many divers during this trip that did the liveaboard and some were disappointed becasused they didn´t see what they expected and see more on they land based diving. As always diving relies much in luck. Another point in favor of land based diving Galapagos is as beatiful above as it is below the surface so if you dive on liveaboard you´ll be missing a lot of what Galapagos has to offer, you´ll also be missing some interest diving (like diving with penguins, etc there are no penguins in Darwin Arch and Wolf). Besides if you are eager to do a liveaboard and spend 5000 dollars do it in a place where you have no option of land based diving like Cocos (still pending on my diving list way to expensive).
Diving in Galapagos is expensive even land based. The best and oly serious Dive operator in Galapagos is Scuba Iguana located in the more touristic town Puerto Ayora in Santa Cruz Island. If you book ahead dives will be more expensive (dont know why 200 dollars 2 dives) But if you right into the shop it will be cheaper 175 dollars/2 dives (155 if you bring your equipement).
About the time to go diving, hammerheads are all year around but they do love cold whater so the best time to see hammerhead sharks are from July to late december. You´ll see hammerheads during the summer months (january to March) but you have to go deepers. In winter water temperature drops up to 16 C while in summer gets up to 25-26 and also the visibility is better because the plankton bloom is in winter time. I went in mid december (a good time) and water was still a little cold (but no so much) 22C an so a lot of hammerheads. In my first dive I saw a school of 12 hammerheads, a school of 4 giant manta ray, school of egale rays and several galapagos sharks and of course a lot fish ( I mean a LOT!). I also dove in the other islands. Well hope this helps. Let me know if you want more information.

I would warn you against the Galapagos, especially if you are still fairly young. Once you have dived there it's hard to find anything comparable elsewhere!!

I can't comment on diving the Galapagos but I did a 7 day cruise in the GIs about 5 years ago. It is like nothing else. That stands out in my mind as my best vacation ever. Did a number of snorkel dives and wish I had opted for a scuba excursion (well, the ex was anti the idea so it would have never happened). I don't know if there are cruises (aka live aboards) that mix diving with land excursions but being able to see the various islands was deeply memorable. We did 3 activities a day - snorkeling, excursion in the pangas or hike on an island. Crossed the equator 4 times (one on Christmas Eve, kind of cool).

If you are land based, I assume that you realistically can only dive reasonably close to Puerto Ayora. A live aboard will take you all over the islands.

Worth it? I think the GIs should be high on everyone's bucket list. Let's face it, if you scuba, you're already locked into an expensive hobby...

One thing that adds cost is the push to put people into Quito for 2 nights each way. I really could have done without this though the only flights that can go to the GIs must originate in Ecuador so your stuck with either Quito or Guayaquil. Quito is a cool city but I got wicked altitude sickness both ways. One overnight in Guayaquil might have been a better idea though flight schedules might be more challenging.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom