Prescription Masks on Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FengShui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody know if there's a dive shop on Key Largo (or on a nearby key) that rents prescription masks? My brother-in-law needs a -12 prescription and wants to do some snorkeling.

When we were in Maui last year, I found one shop that had a -10, which was close enough, but I haven't been able to find any in the Keys that have them.

I'm not *real* familiar with all the shops in Key Largo, but one of the big ones (and difficult to miss from the road) is Divers Direct. They have prescription lenses, but their website does not show lenses of that prescription. It might be worth a call to see if they could acquire that prescription for you.

DaveO:
I'm not *real* familiar with all the shops in Key Largo, but one of the big ones (and difficult to miss from the road) is Divers Direct. They have prescription lenses, but their website does not show lenses of that prescription. It might be worth a call to see if they could acquire that prescription for you.

Do they rent gear? I thought that they were retail only, but I may be mistaken.

You might also want to try Ocean Divers. They're a big operation.

>>I thought that they were retail only

Divers Direct is retail only- I was thinking (but did not relate in my post) that since the person in question has needed them in the past, needs them now, and may use them again, that purchasing the add-on lenses and mating them to a mask that fits well may be the way to go. Finding a rental mask a) with that prescription and b) that provides proper fit seems unlikely.

Makes sense to me. I like having my own gear, especially when I need/want something out of the ordinary.

As an aside, I've had great service from Diver's Direct, despite the fact that they're a "superstore". I've always found them to stand behind their products.

-G

Divers Direct has closed down, actually become part of a big general water-sports place at MM 100. In any case they don't rent. The possible options are Ocean Divers, Capt Slate's Atlantis, Sea Dwellers, and Quiessence. These are the bigger and better equipped shops and one of them might be able to help you.

WW

Thanks for the shop list, WW. I called all four places listed and while Capt. Slate's and Sea Dwellers both carry prescription masks, they both top out at around a -5 to -6 prescription. I guess my BIL will just have to wear his contacts or buy a mask at that prescription. Thanks for the info. Hopefully this thread will be useful to some other diver who finds it in the future.

The highest strength that I'm aware of for a stock lens precription mask is -10.0 ... any higher than that, the lens is too thick to fit into the mask. Most manufacturer's stop at -8.0.

Your -12.0 prescription can be custom made as a bonded lens. This means that the lens is made and bonded (glued) on to the outside of the original mask lens. You will be looking at more $$$ for a custom ground lens though.

If your BIL doesn't want to go with contact lenses, this link might be of some use.

WreckWriter:
Divers Direct has closed down, actually become part of a big general water-sports place at MM 100. In any case they don't rent. The possible options are Ocean Divers, Capt Slate's Atlantis, Sea Dwellers, and Quiessence. These are the bigger and better equipped shops and one of them might be able to help you.

WW

Just FYI - the shop's name is World Water Sports/Diver's Direct, and they're still a dive shop. (They also have other locations in WPB, with a new one opening soon in Ft. Lauderdale.)

Deep Blue:
The highest strength that I'm aware of for a stock lens precription mask is -10.0 ... any higher than that, the lens is too thick to fit into the mask. Most manufacturer's stop at -8.0.

Your -12.0 prescription can be custom made as a bonded lens. This means that the lens is made and bonded (glued) on to the outside of the original mask lens. You will be looking at more $$$ for a custom ground lens though.

Yeah, when were we on Maui, he dove with a -10.0 mask and that worked fine. I think he had a little eyestrain, but it was totally managable.

It doesn't surprise me that -10 is as high as they go. the glass they put in the -10 was incredibly thick. If he does go for the -12, we'll have to order it online I'm sure. I've heard good things about http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/ but I'll check out snorkel-mart as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom