Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, now we're done. This is the last chapter in this novel and really a closure note so if you read the story you'll know how it ends.

I went to see the dive doctor again this morning. He did some nerve and reflex tests, checked me out, and I've been cleared to dive again! I still have the tingling in the right hand fingertips and left foot ankle (and nowhere else). Everything is checking out balance-wise, strength-wise, endurance-wise. (I went for my first-ever run on the weekend, 7.7km) The only thing is I'll always wonder about mis-speaking or mis-stepping. Is that just a normal trip or slur, or is there some brain damage? (I won't be getting a scan, they're too expensive and the wait list is too long.)

I'll be starting small, first getting into the pool without any gear and just using a ladder and then swimming down to get a feel for the pressure changes. After that, I'll throw on some dive gear and swim around in the pool for a bit to get used to the feeling again.

The next phase will be a couple of shallow (30ft) dives out in the ocean. There's a perfect site nearby that I'm reasonably familiar with; gentle slopes, huge rock wall, shallow entries, light current, and if it goes totally pear-shaped there's both a helicopter landing pad and coast guard station nearby. :wink: We don't expect any problems but we'll be ready for them.

Baby steps, but hey, I'm not having to learn to walk or pee or talk again.

As well, I bought myself a Christmas / Birthday present on the way in to work this morning -- a new computer. Probably a little expensive, but it's the only present I'm buying / getting for either.

See you in the water!

Well done Magnus, see you down here in "the Wild West" again some time!

Good, Happy Birthday! You won't be getting a scan because it's too expensive? Doesn't your provincial plan cover it?

Welcome back to the land of the diver. Caution is a good thing to exercise so it is good to see you choosing to exercise it. You did a brave thing originally posting your story on here and I for one am thankful. You did very well at enduring the slams and slights, and are now among the divers again. Your story, I am sure, has open the eyes of some so you have done a good thing here.

Enjoy your dives.

I'm shocked you got cleared to dive, especially still showing symptoms.. I have seen two dive doctors now,,I have no symptoms but i had DCS type II..all the doctors agree there should be no diving for a minimum of 6 months. I can not even scuba in a 12' pool. I can work out, swim and free dive to 12 feet but that is it....at the end of 6 months I will see the doctor again to see if any further medical tests are required before being cleared to dive....be careful don't mess with this or you risk permanent damage.

Okay, now we're done. This is the last chapter in this novel and really a closure note so if you read the story you'll know how it ends.

Let's call it the new beginning, shall we? :balloons: Congratulations.

Plenty of reasons to celebrate: you've not only survived being bent in Belize, you may have possibly help prevent a few of such incidents downstream by taking time to share your experience here at SB. Thank you, themagni.

Very happy for you :) Your thread got me thinking about stupid stuff I've done diving and make a promise that I won't take 'silly' (ie, unplanned and naive) risks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom