Jacket BCD or wing????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubaicrabbers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good Afternoon

I a new to this site and a relatively new diver, only 16 dives under my belt so far.

I have now started buying, as opposed to renting, my own gear, latest acquisition was the Apeks XT50 reg & octopus and dive computer. The next bid descision is wing or jacket BCD.

Until now I have never used a wing, but a lot of people at my club here in Dubai are complete advocates. I am just about to complete my BSAC Sports Diver training and intend to try to get a lot of time underwater before moving on to the next qualification. Most of, if not all, my diving will done off of teh relatively warm waters of the UAE and Oman, at most a 5 - 7mm wet suit in the cold winter months, yet to experience that so they may be wimps, though someone here has switched to a dry suit!

Would you would more experienced divers recommend? I was also thinking of integral weights if I went for a jacket.

Look forward to your comments and advice. :D

Since you belong to a club, ask a fellow diver if you can try their BP/W to see if you like it. It will be different from a jacket BCD so don't set your expectations too high. After purchasing my BP/W it took me 10 or so dives to dial in my buoyancy/trim and be at ease in the water again.

If you are in a BSAC club the majority would be using a bp/w or back inflate however, most would advocate that you experience a bp/w firsthand before you make any firm decisions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I like a jacket or back-inflate because I like a weight intergrated BC so be sure to look at back-inflates as well. The thing is, if you practice your buoyancy skills, you can perfect your trim and buoyancy no matter what your use for a BC. The two or three best/most skilled divers I know wear old beat up jacket BC's.

Try out whatever is available to you, but whatever you choose will work well with practice. Check out why the diver is using the rig he chooses, it may be that the reasons given will allign with the type of diving you want to do and help you with your choice.

My point of view is that there is no bad choice as long as I get to dive.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I like backplates, because they keep the tank so stable on your back. Also, once you have adjusted the harness to fit you, you never need to do it again. I always had trouble getting those straps to pull down and tight on my original BC. And in warm water, where you need so little weight to begin with, a weight belt really isn't a problem. I think you will love the feeling of having nothing at all on the front of your body, too.

Try before you buy definitely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

I am with DSDC, the lads and lassies there are a great group. Bob Claridge, Jim Darbyshire, Angela Manthorpe have been my instructors and dive buddies on several occasions, dont know if you know them. Where you a member?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom