How about that sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSIdiver

Registered
Reaction score
So I had been thinking about upgrading to sidemount for some time now and have finally decided to take the plunge. My only real question is what first stage would yall recomend most? I want to get the majority of my gear before I register for the class and dont want to have to break the bank entirely. Thanks in advance.

So I had been thinking about upgrading to sidemount for some time now and have finally decided to take the plunge. My only real question is what first stage would yall recomend most? I want to get the majority of my gear before I register for the class and dont want to have to break the bank entirely. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that you do more research on the gear and diving conditions that you would be entering. Most importantly, speak to your future instructor and get an idea of what and why certain gear is used.

However, a reg is just a reg and more importantly, find out what regs are best supported by your local lds. Since you are in FL, you could contact Edd at cave adventurers to find out about regs and rigs as well.

For the price and performance, Hog regs have a rather strong following.

For the regs you need swivel turrets and a 5th port. For the buoyancy/trim device, it depends on whether you will be diving in cold or warm/tropical waters. What is your current 1st stage? You might still be able to use it.

For sidemount just about any first stage will do, but swivel turrets make life a little easier. I route my regs so I that I do not need a left hand second stage but for some routing that is a big plus.

For the regs you need swivel turrets and a 5th port. For the buoyancy/trim device, it depends on whether you will be diving in cold or warm/tropical waters. What is your current 1st stage? You might still be able to use it.

I wouldn't say you need swivel as I have used my DS4 and Legend LX for sm and they worked fine. The beauty of SM is you can use pretty much any reg as you won't have to worry bout routing issues as with BM.

Really? I've been using Aqualung Legends for several years now. There's no need for swivel turrets and I've also found that using a 5th port can throw the trim off of the tanks if oriented a certain way.

To the OP

There are a lot of different ways you can approach sidemount. No one way is right for everyone (although there are some people that will try to convince you otherwise). It really depends on you. Sidemount is a very customizable configuration. Rigs need to be customized and personalized to each individual diver. I've seen rigs that have been generically modified that look ridiculous on some divers and do not allow for trimmed out tanks. Some divers will tell you piston regs are the best for sidemount. Others will tell you diaphragm regs are okay. Again, there's no right answer. I've had students with both. The only difference is that some configurations work better with one type of reg over another.

I recommend a DIN first stage, mainly because I've seen others unscrew their yoke and separate their first stage from their cylinder performing a gas switch, one less knob to get in the way. I prefer having swivels on my second stages, again this is my preference, adds cost and a potential failure point, I went without for awhile, tried one and liked it so ended up adding swivels to all my second stages. Hope this helps, enjoy your transition into SM.

For sidemount just about any first stage will do, but swivel turrets make life a little easier. I route my regs so I that I do not need a left hand second stage but for some routing that is a big plus.

I'm with Rob on this. I use Mk 17s that have neither an LP port swivel nor an end port and the hose routing is both simple and clean.

Really? I've been using Aqualung Legends for several years now. There's no need for swivel turrets and I've also found that using a 5th port can throw the trim off of the tanks if oriented a certain way.

I think this depends on which sidemount system is being used. Personally I'd agree the rotating turret and 5th port is a nice feature to consider when looking for a sidemount regs, not essential - but definitely nice to have as it makes the hose routing much simpler. The 5th port is generally used for the LP Inflator hose when the corrugated hose is fed from the bottom of the bladder rather than over the shoulder - there isn't much use for the 5th port in over the should inflator hose configurations as far as I can see.

The rotating turret just allows for better hose routing again, especially if a short hose is used on the left tank. The long hose doesn't have a huge advantage with a rotating turret.

Agreed on the piston vs. diaphragm, there not really much difference unless it's very cold water, although I've found the the piston rotating turrets tend to give slightly better hose routing as the body is generally longer so put the turret swing outside the line of the extended stem valve/tank curve - Just slightly better, not a lot better :)

---------- Post added December 19th, 2012 at 10:09 PM ----------

I recommend a DIN first stage, mainly because I've seen others unscrew their yoke and separate their first stage from their cylinder performing a gas switch, one less knob to get in the way. I prefer having swivels on my second stages, again this is my preference, adds cost and a potential failure point, I went without for awhile, tried one and liked it so ended up adding swivels to all my second stages. Hope this helps, enjoy your transition into SM.

DIN is by far the best way to go on sidemount but I'd suggest for slightly different reasons! The main reason being if you bump the tank you hit the valve, not the reg or the reg a-frame (which then goes directly to the yoke o-ring).

I'd be very careful about diving with anyone who can't tell the difference between a yoke screw and a tank valve :)

Back
Top Bottom