Starting up a dive team for PD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baconboy9

Reaction score
I have been given the opertunity to look into starting a Dive Team for my department, but want to see what procedures (School's Training, etc,etc) are out there and what I would have to do to help create one, since this will be done from the ground up, I completely understand this will not happen over night, but yet, I do have a boss (Chief) that is willing to consider the idea, so that can't be to bad... Any help would be appreciated

I gotta recomend a joint service dive team unless you have a LOT of UW calls.

It will be tough to do it right but very well worth the fight.

Some department heads think just getting a bunch of sport divers together with pagers makes up a PSD team. That attitude is an accident looking for a place to happen.

IF you plan on doing a Rescue/Recovery team in the northern part of the country figure on about $10,000 per diver. That would include baisc training and all matching gear which is very important. Plus there will be the time involved.

If you plan on a Recovery team there CAN be a mix match of equipment but a list must be established as to what is acceptable and what is not. Training will still remain about the same but the cost will come down to between $5-8,000. Plus the time involved.

Another issue is will it be a full time Public Servant team or a mix of civilians. The mix is harder to control than the full time team because of other jobs etc..

There is a lot to it and several training agencys out there. We use "Dive Rescue International" out of Fort Collins Colorado.

Good luch and we'll be here to help.

Gary D.

it's a start, from what you have said so far. I'm also looking for like rules and regulations as well. This project can be done right the first time as long as I do my homework well, in which I attend to

baconboy9:
I have been given the opertunity to look into starting a Dive Team for my department, but want to see what procedures (School's Training, etc,etc) are out there and what I would have to do to help create one, since this will be done from the ground up, I completely understand this will not happen over night, but yet, I do have a boss (Chief) that is willing to consider the idea, so that can't be to bad... Any help would be appreciated

IANTD offers a certified training program that is especially suited for mixed teams and for those departments on limited budgets, and which meets all requirements for OSHA, NFPA, and evidence recovery strictures.

If you will contatct me via PM, I will provide you with contacts and further details.

BJD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom