What is a "skin" and why do you use it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey how come no one has mentioned pantyhose? Or a rash guard? For a really tight wetsuit, a spray bottle with conditioner can help the suit slide on. This is generally reserved for skin in suits, where the smooth part sticks to the skin.

I used a rash guard when surfing as it helps the busy arms slide around. Wore one for wakeboarding too, as it provided sun protection, impact protection from slapping the water some, and did a great job for cooling the 100+ degree temperatures by evaporative cooling on the boat. Just dip it every now and again.

Haven't spent much time warm water diving, but I have never seen anyone use a lycra base layer, or at least I haven't paid enough attention.

Lycra serves no purpose with a drysuit. A base layer under the undies is usually the same type of thing you would use skiing. I use fleece as it is cheap, and lets the water wick through it.

My wife was badly stung by a sea wasp while diving off Bonaire. Skins were the first things we bought when we got home.

I suppose any kind of rash guard like Lycra or Polyolefin is a skin.

I would use skins for 4 reasons:
1. UV protection
2. Sting protection
3. Ease of donning/doffing a wetsuit
4. Pre/post dive comfort

IMHO a skin is great for protection from Jelly Fish and additional protection from the sun. I wear one often while snorkeling and sometimes while diving. Since I dont need any thermal protection here in the tropics, my normal wetsuit is a 1mm neoprene wetsuit.

If there are alot of Jelly Fish out, I will also use a lycra hood.

The comment about it fattening a Dive Stores bottom line maybe true, but they certainly serve a legitimate purpose.

Cheers,
Roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom