Could you have done this at 30 dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold utterly still in the same position for five minutes, Steve. I know, if I'm absolutely perfectly balanced, I can do it for a minute or more, but I'm pretty sure that before five minutes was up, I'd have to flick a fin somewhere.
My guess is that I would too... Even a pool has some water movement... But I have drifted for a long deco without moving... Much!lol

I don't think there are very many people who could hover utterly motionless except for breathing for five minutes, and maintain exactly the same position. Everybody fins a little, even AG . . .

Oh sure... an new challenge! I will report back :)

Hold utterly still in the same position for five minutes, Steve. I know, if I'm absolutely perfectly balanced, I can do it for a minute or more, but I'm pretty sure that before five minutes was up, I'd have to flick a fin somewhere.

I see it like driving a car. It might *seem* that you are driving straight down the road but you're constantly making fine adjustments. Moreover, if you didn't make those fine adjustment then you would eventually drive off the road. It's like that with hovering too.

I'm pretty sure if conditions were favorable that I could *appear* to be motionless for long periods of time. Lynne can as well. However, in any diving context I'm aware of, this may be a result of good skills but it is not the goal in and of itself. If we back off the literal idea of being motionless as some sort of ideal, then what we want as divers is to be *completely in control*. That's the A-type wet dream and one can be completely in control without being completely still.

R..

If Steve can do that, I want to see video proof!

I have a reputation locally for being an EXTREMELY quiet and stable diver (even among my GUE friends) and I'm quite sure that, before five minutes went by, I'd have moved a fin somewhere. Hands, no, but fins, absolutely.

Yup if you didn't move at all after 5 mins... you're dead!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom