ScubaPro vs. Tusa Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeweems12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am needing to purchase a new set of fins. Due to a knee problem (torn ACL), I have been told that split fins will be best for me and easier on my knee. The ScubaPro Twin Jet Max were recommended and I also tried on the Tusa Z-3 fins.

I am a recreational diver that right now only dives a couple of times a year. My old fins were ScubaPro and I loved them. They were full foot and I think they were the Jet Sport version. Before I broke them I was wanting to move to fins with a boot. What I loved about my old fins was how much power I could get from them with little energy. I've been reading some other posts about the pros and cons of the split fins and whether I will be able to get enough power.

I have never tried the frog kick, so I don't know how split fins will compare to what I had. I just want to have plenty of power without straining my knee.

Anyone have any recommendations of ScubaPro vs. Tusa? Thoughts/comments most appreciated!

Last edited:
I think that you'll find most splits to be rather mushy and you might feel if you are not moving at all but all friends who have tried them really love the speeds they generate.

Another fin that might be worth considering is the weird looking force fin, They really don't hurt my knees too. Had a torn meniscus.

Cheers

Get the twin jets. I have both twins and standard jets and in my limited experience, my air consumption was the same regardless of which fin I used. The only reason I'm experimenting with the Jets is to learn the frog kick.

I'd also consider the Apollo Bio Fins. I've tried SP splits, Tusa's, and the Oceanic V-12's and V-16's. Also tried a set of Atomics. They all work but the feel on the Apollo's is different. Much more comfortable. Granted not much time with them but enough that after the holidays I'm going to get a set. My solo instructor swears by them and he kicks ass with them. With seemingly little effort. Using splits takes some getting used to and for me the trick was to remember to let them do the work. Unlike my F-1's or Blades that you can power through, splits require a little more finesse in the technique. Short easy strokes worked best. And they were very easy on the knees and ankles.

Splits don't frog very well, as that is where paddle fins rules.

I would recommend getting in a pool and learn to frog kick with some assistance maybe even video. Then decide which kick you want to use to protect your knee. I personally find frog kicking much easier, but an ACL injury might be better with a flutter kick. Do you swim breast stroke? It is almost the same kick as the frog.

Splits don't frog very well, as that is where paddle fins rules.

I would recommend getting in a pool and learn to frog kick with some assistance maybe even video. Then decide which kick you want to use to protect your knee. I personally find frog kicking much easier, but an ACL injury might be better with a flutter kick. Do you swim breast stroke? It is almost the same kick as the frog.

A torn ACL would make lateral movements difficult so a modified flutter or flutter might be a better choice for now. Like the Jets, apollos are pure rubber and will really last a long long time. I own 2 pairs of them and other then the weight, the apollos are fantastic. There is a stiffer C version and is just as powerful but gives better control.

I have had two surgeries for torn cartilage..that being said, I love my TUSA x-pert zooms.

I had knee surgery for a meniscus tear over 15 years ago.... and may need to have it done again.

I loved my atomic splits, switched to apollos (mainly because they are negative and shorter) and then went over to force fin pros last year. I had no problems with my knees using the force fins... but it did take a little getting used to a slightly new kicking style. I went on a trip this past october and took my atomics (loved how they worked for me in strong current) and after 3 days of diving with them, kicked myself for not bringing my force fins with me!!

I have knee/leg/ankle injuries and struggle with the frog kick... not so good for knees :)

I use Scubapro Seawing Nova and find them really good on my knees.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I wound up with a pair of Mares Plana Avanti fins and I love them already. Spent four hours in the pool with them and they don't strain my knee at all. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom