Over 2000 dives . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin makes some great stuff. My old Scubapro X-Tek wings probably lasted about 700 dives each.

I only got about 200 dives out of my DSS Singles wing before I managed to put a leak in it (admittedly being bashed around in a surge). After trying every substance under the sun to try and repair the leak, I finally managed to reseal it with 5200. However, now my wing looks a bit like Seal's face.

y'all look awfully cute! :)

Great pics!
I couldn't help but notice that there are blue H's on the webbing... does that mean the DSS wing is on a Halcyon backplate?
If so, then is this rig STA-less and therefore is it easier than the Halycon set-up for tank drills, etc?
Is one a torus and the other a LCD? If I understand correctly that the donut shape is preferable then what is the reason the LCD is still used?
How does the inflator hose compare to the Halcyon?
The wing size still looks to be quite large - yet I had the impression it is narrower than the Halcyon.
I have many questions and I apologize if many have already been asked... I am about to buy a BPW and would like to get as much info before purchasing.

Great pics!
I couldn't help but notice that there are blue H's on the webbing... does that mean the DSS wing is on a Halcyon backplate?
If so, then is this rig STA-less and therefore is it easier than the Halycon set-up for tank drills, etc?
Is one a torus and the other a LCD? If I understand correctly that the donut shape is preferable then what is the reason the LCD is still used?
How does the inflator hose compare to the Halcyon?
The wing size still looks to be quite large - yet I had the impression it is narrower than the Halcyon.
I have many questions and I apologize if many have already been asked... I am about to buy a BPW and would like to get as much info before purchasing.

If one understands how a wing actually works the supposed difference between a narrow profile "horseshoe" and a narrow profile "donut" disappears......

The great the capacity of the wing the larger it will be, no way to cheat physics.

If you have specific questions concerning DSS gear feel free to call me. M-F 9-5 626-799-5074

Tobin

gasgirl, the Halcyon webbing is on my setup, and it's because I like thinner and more flexible webbing.

The rig, as I bought it, had a DSS wing on an Oxycheq plate (and given subsequent events, I'm amazed the two things can remain in proximity to one another) with God knows whose webbing. The webbing was frayed, and I replaced it with the Halcyon stuff because I liked its texture.

I don't think the DSS wing is particularly wide, and it doesn't taco at all.

Well, I just did my FIRST dive on a DSS small SS plate and 35lb wing and LOVED it! I am still just learning the proper trim position and so I am definitely challenged in managing and dumping the air bubble.

TSandM, do you have any experience diving the 26lb Torus? Just wondering if it is easier to manage than the 35lb Torus? I would like to have a wing size adequate for both PNW cold water and warm water travel if that is possible : )

Excellent post! Good dive gear is getting harder to come by nowadays!

Back
Top Bottom