Bigblue CF 250 or Hollis Tech LED 3X?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splint

Registered
Reaction score
Hi peoples,

I'm in the market for a new dive torch and have found two which suit my needs fairly well. Both are adjustable beam angle torches and use AAA batteries. The two units, the Bigblue CF 250 and the Hollis Tech LED 3X have similar specs and price. What I'm having some trouble with is finding what the quality of the beam is for these lights. Do they have a smooth constant spread in the beam or are there hot/cold spots through their range of beam angle etc? Anyone able to comment on how well either of these units perform? Any issues to speak of?

Thanks
Splint

I used my LED 3x yesterday after my can light wouldn't fire up and was pleasantly surprised at its ability to cut through the crap vis we had.

I use mine on a soft goodman handle and other than turning on/off by way of twisting the end cap. I like it. It is light, well designed and bright enough to use in murky, dark 5-15' vis water.

Hey Randy, I presume you were using it with the beam focused? With the wide beam does it still have a concentrated centre beam or is an even spread?

I can attest to the other light you are looking at - the CF250 is a beast. It is a great signaling light when the beam is dialed in, and when dialed out, it'd even be a good flood light. No matter the adjustment on the beam, it's always a nice even beam, and very very bright. Only thing I wish is that the switch mechanism was easier to manipulate with gloves on, or even better a twist-on head.

Another plug for the Bigblue lights. There are the only lights I carry now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom