What tanks should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so i need to chime in as a newbie. How do I find out buoyancy calcs, sac rates...etc?!?!

to calculate your Surface Air Consumption (SAC) rate, you need to monitor how much gas you use for a particular time at a particular depth. For example, for a portion of your next dive, swim along 33 feet for 10 minutes and make a note of how much gas you use.

Now assuming an aluminum 80 (77 cubic feet actual capacity at 3000psi), you need to find out the cubic feet to psi ratio:

77/3000 = 0.0256667 ft3/psi (note this is fixed for a particular tank, no need to recalculate every time)

Now you need to convert your gas consumption from psi to cubic feet (lets assume you used 500psi):

0.0256667 ft3/psi * 500psi = 12.83335 ft3

Now need to find out how much gas was consumed per minute expressed as ft3/min

12.83335 / 10 = 1.283335 ft3/min

But this was at 2ata, need to convert to surface pressure

1.283335 / 2 = 0.64

SAC rate = 0.64 ft3/min

Now if you want to calculate your consumption rate at 99 feet:

0.64 * 4ata = 2.56 ft3/min

Another option is to take the total amount of gas used on a dive, and use the average depth (luckily my bottom timer gives me my average depth)

The calculations are a lot easier in metric, but unfortunately, I find it rare to find someone using metric in the USA

Another vote for the HP100..they have been perfect for me! I have PST and like that they are DIN compatible.

Thanks everyone for comments, help and thoughts. I don't take anything that anyone has said personally or as an attack on me as a diver.

I don't know how scuba was taught to compare it to how it is taught now. I don't fault my instructor as I think for want i needed to know for my OW class was taught well. I scored high on all knowledge reviews and tests and when it came to applying what i learned and putting it all together to give me a better understanding I found I did with ease.

When it comes to being technical and knowing all the equations for all the theory that goes into diving is kind of unrealistic for a basic OW class don't you think? Isn't that why they have more classes to advance your diving knowledge and skill? That's why I am furthering my education with more classes and reading this forum. When I find a local dive club i'll rely on those people to impart some knowledge on me as well.

Again thanks for all the help! :)

I am about the same size as the OP and I find HP130's to be ideal for the cold water recreational diving that I do. I have H-valves on mine to provide a degree of redundancy.

I second the rent different tanks and try them out. Also check what kind of fills you wind up with, a HP tank with 3000 or 3100# is no prize. That is why I got a LP95 for boat trips, that and a good price, where they invariably fill low. Since I dive wet, anything over my HP100 will limit how many dives I can make due to the time it will take to recover on my core temp.

The Faber 72 (3000# steel) is my favorite for hike and dive on the north coast, old school double 72's for a single dive, regular 72 for a short dive and the AL80's when everything else runs out and I still want to dive.

For one tank I would keep the LP95 or go to an LP at 100cuft or better.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I'm really happy with my steel HP100 (PST E7). Never had a problem getting a proper fill in Monterey or the SF Bay area and I typically have them filled with EANx 32.

It feels better trimmed in the water to me than an aluminium LP80. Going dry in Monterey helped air consumption quite a bit - shivering burns a lot of air :cool:.

I love my steal HP100's. Bouyancy characteristics, trim and weighting have all been easier since going to them. Also I have never gotten a full fill in any shop in monterey with any tank I have used from al80 to hp 130 so i would rather have 3000 to 3100 in a hp100 than the 2600 to 2750 in an al80. Oh I almost forgot...Watch dolphin scuba in Sacramento for sales www.dolphinscuba.com I bought my hp100's with the pro valves (Convertible from yoke to din with an allen wrench) for $269 each last year.

Do rent first.

FWIW, Between Adm. Linda and I we have seven HP100s, four HP80s, and one HP120. I use the HP100s, Linda uses an HP100 on the first dive and an HP80 on the second dive. I haven't used the HP120 yet. Why so many tanks? Well, the original plan was to have eight so we could get over a holiday when the dive shops were closed. We got to seven, and I got an opportunity to buy two so we got to nine. Then I got an opportunity to buy a couple out of hydro HP80s for a VERY VERY good price (they passed). Then the HP120 opportunity came along.

Only the first two HP100s were purchased new.

Chuck

I second the rent different tanks and try them out. Also check what kind of fills you wind up with, a HP tank with 3000 or 3100# is no prize.

I second the LP. Getting a good HP fill can be a hassle - thats been my experience. I bought a steel LP 120+ so getting 2600psi is never a problem. Additionally, I rented several different types of tanks which helped me decide what I wanted, when I figured it out I watched craigslist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom