Indonesia in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

froggie01

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I managed to get the whole month of April off next year. I would love to discover Indonesia with my 80 dives-experience but looking at the weather I'm wondering if it's a good idea and whether I should plan to go somewhere else instead. Can people who've dived there in the month of April give me their opinion? I'm mostly interested in pelagics but I also love macro. Where are the places to try and those to avoid? Sipadan? Raja Ampat? Lombok? Thanks for the advice!

froggie

Its the end of the season for RA, but the beginning of the season of Komodo. If you really love pelagics i should go to komodo, that can be land bases or on a live aboard.

thanks for the reply. Komodo it is then but I'll have a full month available, where else in Indonesia would it be a good time for? What about RA, end of season, that means it's likely to be quite rainy right? I know we can't predict the weather but it's an important factor into preparing a good trip so I'd like advice from people's past experiences.

froggie

I agree with Mike! Do a combo Komodo/Lembeh trip!We have been in Lembeh in April and although it did rain it was only for a short while and then it would clear up again. Our diving was still fantastic!

thanks for the reply. Komodo it is then but I'll have a full month available, where else in Indonesia would it be a good time for? What about RA, end of season, that means it's likely to be quite rainy right? I know we can't predict the weather but it's an important factor into preparing a good trip so I'd like advice from people's past experiences.

froggie

A Raja Ampat guide once told me the rainy season there is all year ... some periods just more than others.

Sorong, Indonesia Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online

I'll also add a vote for a Lembeh/Komodo or Lembeh/Raja Ampat trip in April, though if you do a liveaboard your boat choice might be reduced both places then.

Thanks all for the replies. Of course the weather is not all. For example you don't expect pelagics in Sharm in October, earlier is a better time to go. Does the same go of lembeh/RA/komodo? I read about the molamola, it sounds like I'd be lucky to meet one in April but what about sharks and mantas? Is there a season for them in komodo?
Thanks for your contribution.

froggie

That's a great website right there on LOB. thanks a lot Jake11, just what I was looking for!
Anybody wish to comment further and fill me in on the action during April?

froggie

Fly to Manado, spend 5-7 days in Lembeh. Fly from Manado to Sorong and catch a liveaboard to do Raja. Fly from Sorong to Bali and do some diving in Bali. Fly home.

Or. Fly to Manado, spend 5-7 days in Lembeh. Fly from Manado to Sorong and catch a liveaboard to do Raja to Ambon to Maumere to Komodo (the annual string of repositioning cruises). Fly home from Komodo through Bali.

Back
Top Bottom