PALAU: FISH n FINS OR SAM'S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried Fish N Fins once 7 years ago, diving was fine except that we were not entertained as we had 2 people only. We had requested to go to the jellyfish lake for 4 consecutive days but still they didn't bring us there and there was never an explanation. The weather was fine for the first 3 days, I think the reason is that the American group in the same boat have been there a few days ago.
They forgot to fill up the tank of the boat in one of my diving day and wasted lots of time getting the spare from another boat then went back to the dock to fill up the tank. The morning dive hence changed from Blue Corner to Short Drop-off which is just 10 minutes away from the dock.
Maybe I was unlucky but I won't recommend this dive shop.

After you are transported by the diveshops vans for two or three times, you will see that Koror is so small that you can walk easily from one end to another within 45min. If it does not rain, of course. :) And I dont get it when ppl complain about a "walk past a smelly dumpsite." Yes, even in tropical paradise people produce garbage, and that needs to be treated in some facility .. which, as a coincidence, lies next to the docks. Just keep walking, man! :) I stayed on Ocean Hunter III which belongs to FnF and it was superb - accommodation, meals, service. And in Palau, i would definitely recommend liveaboard. Yes, it costs more per holidays but if you find some deal and get the liveaboard cheaper, then with 4-5 dives a day the price per dive is cheaper compared to staying in a hotel (which is not cheap in Palau), finding your own food (which is not cheap in Palau either) and commuting (!!!) to divesite every morning. Not to mention that liveaboard feels more like holidays.

I have tried Fish N Fins once 7 years ago, diving was fine except that we were not entertained as we had 2 people only. We had requested to go to the jellyfish lake for 4 consecutive days but still they didn't bring us there and there was never an explanation. The weather was fine for the first 3 days, I think the reason is that the American group in the same boat have been there a few days ago.
They forgot to fill up the tank of the boat in one of my diving day and wasted lots of time getting the spare from another boat then went back to the dock to fill up the tank. The morning dive hence changed from Blue Corner to Short Drop-off which is just 10 minutes away from the dock.
Maybe I was unlucky but I won't recommend this dive shop.

This is probably the only bad thing I've ever heard about FnF, I guess everyone has a bad day. They were the pioneers of diving in Palau and we had a great experience with them in Feb 2010. We plan to return soon. They were very accommodating about taking us to dive sites we wanted to visit, were very safety conscious, and we found the dive instructors to be very knowledgeable.

I have started booking Palau Dive Adventures rather than Sam's or Fish n Fins. Am getting excellent service, small groups, free nitrox, etc. They have contracts with Palau Pacific and Sea Passion but represent other hotels as well. These guys are great!

I dove with Sam's tours back in 2005 or 2006. It was right after they filmed the
second "Survivor" series in Palau. Some of the people who worked on the show
crew had been certified while they were there. Obviously very inexperienced
divers. Sam's thought it was ok to take them to Blue Corner and Peleliu. The
dives around Peleliu were advanced. They were moderately deep but very high
current. The inexperienced divers were pushed off the reef before they were able
to get down to the bottom. They had to re-drop further in but that was a
dangerous dive for new divers. The other thing that they apparently thought was
ok was one of the new divers RAN OUT OF AIR ON THREE DIFFERENT DIVES. On each
of these dives the divemaster gave her his octo and they continued the dive
every time. He should have terminated their dive and surfaced with her. This in
my opinion was very dangerous. I am a instructor for PADI and SSI. I know both
of these agencies tell you that when you are "low on air" you end your dives.
Hopefully their saftey practices have improved.

I have been with Sam's (Sea Passion) and the Aggressor within the last 2 yrs. Both were excellent. I have heard good things about Fish and Fins as well. The primary difference between F&F and Sam's is that F&F boats have seats facing forward while Sam's face inside. The Aggressor and Dancer boats are sister ships and except for some cosmetics they are identical. If you want 3 dives a day prepay at Sam's to assure they put you on the 3 dive boat. Otherwise it might already be filled up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom