Ethical Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He didn't post that. I bet he would get a better price from the big box store. This is about loyalty, not pricing.
He was getting a better price from the LDS. Otherwise, I wonder if there would have been a question in his mind what he needed to do.

He didn't post that. I bet he would get a better price from the big box store. This is about loyalty, not pricing.

even if he did get a better price from the LDS, the big box store would likely match it or beat it. I agree that the rationale behind it is loyalty, rather than price.

OP: What DID you decide to do?

FWIW I think you should tell the LDS you had to find it elsewhere. Keep the item you purchase from Best Buy (or similar retailer). It would be wrong to swap the items even though you are claiming loyalty to the LDS.

The only big store I use is the local Walmart as all of the others are an hour further away, but their return policies are indeed liberal enough. They know well what they are doing by offering their version of "try it, like it - or return it."

He was getting a better price from the LDS. Otherwise, I wonder if there would have been a question in his mind what he needed to do.
That is why I am asking the question.

The good news the LDS got their shipment in today, the bad news is they got 6 white units. He said they didn't order any white units :(

They were supposed to get their cameras in last week, though the shipping company lost the order.

I love my LDS, they also have a better deal than the big box store. They are throwing in a free snap on filter. I am wanting the camera though I don't know if my want to use it in Belize is greater than my want to buy it at a little higher price w/o a magenta filter. If I don't buy it for this trip then I will also be returning the 32GB mem card I bought from the said big box store.
That was a personal, unadvertised deal I presume, which the big store could not be asked to match.

OP: What DID you decide to do?

FWIW I think you should tell the LDS you had to find it elsewhere. Keep the item you purchase from Best Buy (or similar retailer). It would be wrong to swap the items even though you are claiming loyalty to the LDS.
He is in Belize and may not rejoin the discussion this week? :idk:

The only big store I use is the local Walmart as all of the others are an hour further away, but their return policies are indeed liberal enough. They know well what they are doing by offering their version of "try it, like it - or return it."

"try it, like it - or return it" is very different (imho) from "borrow it, return it - and buy it somewhere else"

I will admit my assumption is hypothetical but I have had quite a few genuine returns of various goods purchased here in Dubai (not all dive related) in the past five years that made me seriously think that some companies were dumping "rubbish" products in this area.

It's the bloody hassle of returning something that really wears me down as most shops here almost refuse to honor warranties etc., so bad enough in a genuine return to the original shop let alone the scenario I described.

If being Loyal to one means being unethical to another.............I guess this means the end justifies the means in your world.

I wonder what the response would have been if the stores were reversed and he was going to buy at the LDS then buy another at the Big Box store and return that product to the LDS.....I bet those that support his present request would be screaming for his head.I think some people think it is OK to screw a Big Box store but NOT a LDS,these are the same people who jump down someones throat because they tried on a wetsuit at the LDS and then bought it online. Both are wrong to me .

If being Loyal to one means being unethical to another...
Have I bent a law over loyalty? You betcha. Apparently I'm not as pure and sinless as you claim to be or at least I am at least honest about it. Strange thing is, I'm way OK with that. The end does not justify the means or the meanies in my world and I never said that it did. However, your petty put down is pretty typical of the judgmental people I have known.

Have I bent a law over loyalty? You betcha. Apparently I'm not as pure and sinless as you claim to be or at least I am at least honest about it. Strange thing is, I'm way OK with that. The end does not justify the means or the meanies in my world and I never said that it did. However, your petty put down is pretty typical of the judgmental people I have known.

Petty put down........maybe I should have been more clear.....Anyone who does something like what the OP is suggesting is nothing more than a thief.There hope that cleared it up for you.The judgemental part in your post is the best,,,,he is asking the question "Would it be wrong to buy the GoPro camera from a big box store, which currently has it in stock. Then buy one from my LDS when it gets in stock and return the one I got from the LDS (unopened) to the big box store?" and I answered ,just because it is NOT what you want to hear does not make me or anyone else who answered judgemental we are doing what the OP asked ANSWERING his question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom