Regulator Storage Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
A regulator was stored in a Rubbermaid container 2 years ago. It was stored immediately after a complete overhaul. It looks just fine with no corrosion or odd looking things. Hooked up to a cylinder it seems to breathe and operate just fine. Is it safe to dive?

Should be. If it were me I would hook it up cycle it, dunk it for leaks, etc. others will wade in shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think it will be fine. If you're concerned about it and nervous about doing it yourself I'd get a pro to take a look at the reg.

Kristopher

I would dive it with a little extra caution after a good inspection (instructions in the reg forum). Not because of the 2 years but because it has not been used since serviced. Freshly serviced regulators have a somewhat higher failure rate due to service errors.

A regulator was stored in a Rubbermaid container 2 years ago. It was stored immediately after a complete overhaul. It looks just fine with no corrosion or odd looking things. Hooked up to a cylinder it seems to breathe and operate just fine. Is it safe to dive?

It's probably fine, I'd take it to a pool first.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about the storage time, but that if you exclude extreme old age and abuse, most other regulator failures are caused by the service technician. :cool:

It's possible that the second stage may bubble a little and need a small adjustment. It only takes a couple of minutes, and if the shop that serviced it is nice, they shouldn't charge you anything.

flots.

The answer is yes , if it is as you say. However, I always pool dive new to me stuff, even if brand new before I commit to counting on it.

N

I would dive it with a little extra caution after a good inspection (instructions in the reg forum). Not because of the 2 years but because it has not been used since serviced. Freshly serviced regulators have a somewhat higher failure rate due to service errors.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Depending on the second stage the seat could take a set and it might start leaking in the easiest setting (if it has any), just take it for a spin into an easy environment and see if you notice any strange behaviour.

Thanks folks. We are all thinking the same. I will so my best to take it to the pool first if I can. If not I'll make sure I have a buddy within a fin kick distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom