GoPro Hero2 video made in Cozumel last month..Oculus red filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g550driver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving in Cozumel.wmv - YouTube

Just a quick video I made (hard to decide from the ton's of footage I took ):shocked2: in Cozumel in October.

I was using a GoPro Hero 2 with GoPro dive housing and my friend's Oculus red filter... Also used was the QuikPod DSLR monopod.

I re-edited the original because I was saving the project in the wrong aspect ratio which did not help the quality.. Hopefully this should be it!

I think the Oculus filter worked great at depths from 20-40 feet or so... I do not think the results were great at greater depths also the white balance performance of the Hero2 in those conditions is a factor too..

I hope you enjoy!

Avail in 1080P..

Last edited:
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. We're heading down in February and I'm so excited now.

If you don't mind, how thick of a wetsuit were you wearing?

RAJ that was an awesome video, AREN'T POLE CAMS GREAT FUN?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was Scubapro white fin girl? What I love about Pole Cams and filming myself and others is seeing how we all can use to improve trim and horizontal diving. RAJ you were great and horizontal, but white fin girl would find scuba easier if she wasn't 60-70 degrees or more vertical head up most the dive with fins and their prop wash banging the bottom.

I'm not being critical to white fin girl or others, just pointing out how on video and on pole cam, we all can learn watching ourselves and our trim, to make us all better divers..............

good job RAJ! thanks for sharing.

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. We're heading down in February and I'm so excited now.

If you don't mind, how thick of a wetsuit were you wearing?

I was wearing a 3mm wetsuit which is perfect down in Cozumel..

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 08:20 AM ----------

RAJ that was an awesome video, AREN'T POLE CAMS GREAT FUN?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was Scubapro white fin girl? What I love about Pole Cams and filming myself and others is seeing how we all can use to improve trim and horizontal diving. RAJ you were great and horizontal, but white fin girl would find scuba easier if she wasn't 60-70 degrees or more vertical head up most the dive with fins and their prop wash banging the bottom.

I'm not being critical to white fin girl or others, just pointing out how on video and on pole cam, we all can learn watching ourselves and our trim, to make us all better divers..............

good job RAJ! thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments! She was actually a new diver and my best friend's wife.. I noticed all the "prop wash" LOL after I started looking at the videos.. This was her first dive trip and I think she was over-weighted too.. She was not very comfortable for most of the trip... I'm sure she will improve her skills on the next trip...

---------- Post added

Last edited:
THANK YOU for taking that "girl in the white fins" comment as you did, I'm a PADI Instructor and things like that jump out at me and I like to help people learn, many many times they don't even realize the prop wash off the fins (I was 3 feet off the bottom I didn't hit anything...........yeah but propwash sent Mr Sea Horse flying 25 feet away.

Whether overweighted or not, she was just wearing the weight in the wrong spots. I would have had her cinch up the BCD shoulder straps tighter to raise the whole BCD/Weights/Tank up further. On some people I even suggest a weight (like dry suit ankle weights) around the tank yoke valve to move their CG center of gravity up. Often I have my students just freeze, stop moving, and what starts to sink first, butt or head, left or right...........move weight away from where you sink first.

AREN'T POLE CAMS FUN..............you did a great job on the GoPro footage, and I've found you can get the camera right up in the fishes face without spooking them as Mr Bad Man diver is still 4 foot away. Keep up the great work, maybe give a few tips/suggestions to white fin girl, (show her the video and illustrate how other more experienced divers are orientated underwater) because making her a better diver = a happy diver as she's not fighting her equipment and being inefficient, and wondering where all her air went while other people still have 1500 psi in their tanks.

The video footage can be a very powerful learning tool, I use it on my self to become more streamlined.

I think there were multiple issues that led to her being uncomfortable....

1) First real dive in the open ocean
2) Rental equipment including BCD
3) Lack of experience
4) DM should have noticed and taken more time to situate her weight a bit better..
5) Her mask was either leaking or foggy most of the time (biggest culprit IMHO)
6) etc...

Of course, none of us were experts in the beginning either :)...nor am i now, but i am def more experienced and comfortable..

On another note, not scuba related, but here's a video I put together using my GoPro Hero 2 at my day job...

Gulfstream G550 video 2_We can make the world stop.wmv - YouTube

Last edited:
Great video, really cool! I like the self-shots on the pole, really neat perspective. I dove with my GoPro for the first time on the last trip I was on, but never got any shots like that. I'll have to add them in next time!

That's probable the least exciting job ever, seems so boring... :shakehead: Wanna switch with my desk job?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom