Last Years recap and new years dive resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2012:
Gear: nothing too special, knife, smb and reel, 3/2 full suit... but I finally got to dive the reg I bought myself for x-mas 2011 (SP MK17/G250V)
Training: Deep and Wreck specialties, DM, IDC, Nitrox and O2 Provider Instructor
Travel: Blackbeards liveaboard in the Bahamas in May (my second trip) and Roatan from August to October
Dives: about 125

2013:
-Currently looking into going to Bonaire in march during spring break.
-Hoping to land a warm water job starting in May after I graduate university.
-planning on doing a basic tech class
-doing lots of dives

a) Gear purchases -
I've spent money like it's going out of style. I got a rEvo CCR. I bought a XCS2 Drysuit. I bought LP50 tanks. I bought a Nomad XT. It seems like everytime I turn around I'm spending cash on gear. Geesh, how much gear does a guy need.

b) Training -
Well, for the first time in many many moons, I took a entry level course. I'm a certified rebreather diver.

c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted)
The first week of January I'm diving Diepolders. It's been on my bucket list since I started cave diving. It becomes a reality in just over a month.

d) Number of dives
200+ Cave Dives, fewer than 20 Open Water Dives

e) Dive Fitness
I swam more than 2 miles on Sunday. Does that count? (Yeah, I didn't think so either)

2012:

a) Gear purchases
The full works, minus tanks/weights

b) Training
Open water and advanced open water

c) New destinations
New at it so everywhere is new... Local (trinidad) and got in some tobago diving to

d) Number of dives
22 :(... certified for just over half the year...

2013:

a) Gear Purchases
weights, mainly for free-diving

b) training
rescue diver and hopefully nitrox (dunno why the bonaire invasion wasnt in april grr!!)...

c) new destinations
bonaire!!! and more local sites trinidad and tobago

d)number of dives
at least 50

I have a T3i with wide angle and was looking to get a macro lens. Cant decide whether to go with 60 mm or 100mm. Which Macro lens did you end up getting and how happy are you with it?

I got the EF-S 60 mm ... and I'm VERY happy with it. It gives you a lot more versatility than the 100 mm. And if you want the ability to shoot closer, get a diopter you can screw into the port ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This year I didn't dive much (spending quality time with my now 15 month old son), so my *hope* for 2013 is to make... say at least 10 fold as many dives as my 2012 total.

I have a T3i with wide angle and was looking to get a macro lens. Cant decide whether to go with 60 mm or 100mm. Which Macro lens did you end up getting and how happy are you with it?.

The 100mm is a wonderful portrait lens, but as Bob mentioned less versatile for underwater use.

2012:

Two trips to the caves in Mexico, a week with Explorer Ventures in Saba/St. Kitts, a few dives locally in Lake George.
Upgrade to IANTD Tech Cave.
This last trip, switched from the Razor II sidemount rig to the new Stealth from xDeep, and loving it.

2013:

Retire!
At least one trip to Mexico for Advanced Sidemount and more caves.
Take the Hog regulator service class at some point.
Maybe finally get to do Doppler's Wreck class.

Last edited:
2012 was a good year!

Gear: got my new pony bottle and second reg set. Also got a new BC that I like much better.
Training: Made it to Master Scuba Diver! Pretty much my real goal until I am out of college and I debate going pro. For now, it's just getting dives in.
Travel: I finally made it to clear blue water. Took a trip to the Bahamas and did my first live aboard. It was awesome!
Number of dives: My new years resolution was to do twice as many gives this year as I did last. I am happy to see I have gone past that. 112 dives so far this year.
Dive Fitness: My goal is to get down to a healthy weight. So far this summer, I have lost 30lbs and still going! Thanksgiving was a bit of a setback. :blush: But I am back on it and working to lose another 30.

Great year! I think in 2013, I want to do a dive day at least once a month. I need a new wetsuit because of the weight loss. And if possible, I want to take a dive trip with my lds.

2012 was a good year!

Gear: got my new pony bottle and second reg set. Also got a new BC that I like much better.
Training: Made it to Master Scuba Diver! Pretty much my real goal until I am out of college and I debate going pro. For now, it's just getting dives in.
Travel: I finally made it to clear blue water. Took a trip to the Bahamas and did my first live aboard. It was awesome!
Number of dives: My new years resolution was to do twice as many gives this year as I did last. I am happy to see I have gone past that. 112 dives so far this year.
Dive Fitness: My goal is to get down to a healthy weight. So far this summer, I have lost 30lbs and still going! Thanksgiving was a bit of a setback. :blush: But I am back on it and working to lose another 30.

Great year! I think in 2013, I want to do a dive day at least once a month. I need a new wetsuit because of the weight loss. And if possible, I want to take a dive trip with my lds.

Nice. Which liveaboard did you do in the Bahamas?

Now I've got a bit of time to clarify:

In 2012, I got my Open Water certification followed by Nitrox and AOW. I've got 20+ dives in this year and have completed the confined water dives for drysuit certification. I'll complete my drysuit course on New Years Eve.

I also bought full gear... ScubaPro Seahawk BCD, ScubaPro MK25/S600/R295 regulators, a pair of AL80's, wetsuit, etc.

Hoping to get one last dive trip in this year, down to Florida for some diving.

In 2013, I'm slated to get my Ice Diving C-Card in February, and hopefully complete my Rescue Diver early in the season and start Divemaster once I log a couple more dives.

And with any luck, I'll be heading to the Mediterranean for some diving next year!

In 2012:
* Open Water Certification
* Advanced Open Water
* Nitrox Certification
* Drysuit Certification
* Bought full gear
* Travel to FL (hopeful)

In 2013 (hopeful):
* Ice Diving C-Card
* Rescue Diver
* Begin DM
* Hopeful travel outside of North America to dive

a) Gear purchases - New light, SMB, 7mm fullsuit, 3mm shorty
b) Training - AOW, Deep, EAN
c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted) - Cuba, multiple St Lawrence river sites, revisited Victoria
d) Number of dives - exactly 60
e) Dive Fitness - what's that? I have changed my diet, sitting here almost 30 lbs lighter than I was this time last year.

2013 goals
a) Gear purchases - Probably not much, I would love to, but the long haired boss would kill me. If anything, some steel tanks, larger than my AL80's, so I can actually stay down as long as my son
b) Training - Rescue
c) Any new dive destinations (or even older ones revisted) - somewhere south, revisit Tobermory
d) Number of dives - 30+
e) Dive Fitness - ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom