a view from a dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not complaining about the internet anymore than posters come onto the internet to gripe about LDS owners :) I respect my customers wallets and pocketbooks, I only ask the same in return. I do not run at MSRP, nor MAP and I am not trying to drive a new Lexus every year. Sounds like your LDS offered the best he had and that you came him an honest crack at the business, which is more than fair on both and all anyone could ask for. I do have a business plan that tells me a formula for my pricing based on my expenses and revenue and that is the number I need to stay in business. I try to offer those small services like fitting, assembly and swapping out hoses, etc., to add value for my customers.

The industry is really in a state of change right now and mostly for the good I feel. But we will see how it plays out.

You're tone indicates the opposite. You came across as "I'm a NAUI CD, how dare you debate me!".

There are plenty of people online who don't know what they are talking about. Frequently that are "professionals"... (Anyone remember Moonbeam?)

FWIW, I am biased toward researching on the internet. It might have something to do with the fact that I've done really well in the IT field despite having never gone to college.

My apologies if that is the tone that came across, not my intent, which is one of the issues with these forums, there isn't a tone or inflection nor a sarcasm font. I don't blame you for picking up on that, it is what I lead with. As an instructor and as a business owner I do not feel the need to force people to believe as I do, wear what I wear or dive how I dive. I feel I need to listen to their needs and help guide them to the solution that is best for them. I guess I am a little guarded on the internet forum concept because even the best ones let some misinformation slide through.

At least if we are together on a boat, at the local training lake or in my store I am accountable and you are talking to someone with almost 30 years of local diving experience, 24 years of teaching experience and 10 years as a CD and tech instructor. (please do not infer any sort of negative tone here, just laying out some facts) I am right here, not some screen name 2,000 miles away, which should count for something. I did look into changing my screen name to my real name, but was told that was problematic in regards to tracking history and what not, so at least I put my real name in my signature and a few of my relevant credentials.

Everybody has their preferences and learns in their own way, which is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors. I am not against the internet by any means, I enjoy it myself. It is just that I will always prefer to walk into a brick and mortar store, whether it be for hardware, technology or scuba gear.

---------- Post added November 25th, 2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

I wish you all the best.

Thanks

First I would like to bring this back to what I had hoped for. A conversation from across the counter. There is no use arguing about prices, internet prices will almost always be less. Not because they don't have a brick and mortar building somewhere , but simply like Walmart they put a lot and I do mean a lot of capital into buying enough to be able to get a better price. Simple and I applaud you if you can find a better deal either with another shop or online. All I am saying is come in and use my shop or any other shop for what it should be. A place to meet a diver to dive with, a place to pick up ideas, get your class work done, exchange ideas. Of course some shop owners feel the need to sell stuff that they have in stock even if it is not the best for you, that happens in every business. What I want is for divers to encourage the good dive shop, the ones that give you a free air fill, or renal because they know you're hurting too. I have loaned gear not penalised diver who broke rental bevause they didn't know better. I'm not a saint I'm just another diver. I just happen to own the store. Under water I am your buddy and nothing more and nothing less

After seeing 2 dive shops go under in my area, and a friend's jewelry business, I feel that one absolutely needs to tune in to a new way of doing business. Old school business models just won't cut it today. Bottom line is that you have to move products to make any profits. You can't make a profit on a dive light siting in a case for 5 years. I count at least 5 or 6 "online advertisements" including the banner at the top of this page. That should be a clue. Many "brick and mortar" shops ALSO have a website and sell what they can in addition to the walk in customers. I recently put in a decent sized order to a shop here in the Northeast and got most of the order overnight here in CT. A week later I got my tanks and another 1 or 2 items. NO hassle, NO haggling, NO "you're gonna die" if you buy this here speech. Many divers that have been doing this for awhile don't need dive shops all that much. I can get air at many of the places I go to dive. I don't need any more training or can even get that outside of a shop from independent instructors. My dive club has more resources than most dive shops including access to instruction, dive trips, speakers you name it. Bottom line is I DO support dive shops. But the ones I do support just happen to be remote and have the ability to sell me gear over the phone or the internet. They understand this concept. Research the competition.

good points. I"d say the Exception is the dive shop which is selling over the internet any thing except the training. Heck they go on and on about their training courses and course pricelists, but very little on the products/gear. Heck almost none of them even list the prices of their gear or equipment for sale. Folks you have to make it easy and entice us to come into the store. Try an old sales approach....if you want someone to come into the store, give them a reason to make the trek. Lost leaders, gear demos (not just your old stuff but the new gear as well), pooltime seminars in which a specific technique is described or demonstrated. BUt you need to embrace the internet and other technology and use them to your advantage. Also a big gripe I have with a lot of businesses is that they have GREAT PROMOTIONS and SALES for new customers..How about us loyal customers who've been around you for years, why not give us the special breaks? Trade-ins, got to be a way to make (or to not lose money) on trade-ins. Internet cant accept trade-ins but you can. Most people would feel more at ease to buy used gear from a LDS than from a stranger... Not saying to compete with ebay or amazon or craigslist, but there is a large market for used gear. Maybe give good discounts for used gear purchesed online (gets them in your door). - just shooting off the top of my head folks.

I'd hire hot babes for staff. Sex sells.

... it also costs more than most dive shop owners can afford ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I always find these threads on brick n mortar stores v internet interesting. Most of the responses fall along generation differences older customers used to going to stores v younger customers who grew up with the internet buying things online. Full discloser being in my late 40's I've grown up with both. Old enough to remember the time before computers and the internet and young enough to have been at the front of the computer revolution.

As for the OP's question of whether or not service counts for anything, in my mind it counts for a lot. I make a comfortable living, and I prefer to pay jsut a little extra to have great service. Now, I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg and get ripped off just because I can afford it. But, if the prices are close I'll generally try to support the LDS because of the service (assuming it's good and the people in the store treat me well.) My current LDS is as much a social place as well. They book several boat trips which I try to make and use them as my new dive clubs for local shore dives. There is a large internet shop nearby but I will usually try to support my LDS whenever possible.

But, you can please some of the people some of the time, and maybe most of the people most of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. Personally, in my business I just do what I feel is the moral and ethical way to do business and treat people the way I would like to be treated. I've had some first class tools come in though and have had to tell a small minority their business is no longer welcome. I'ts not worth the headache to make them happy and I don't make that much off of them anyways.

But, whether you are brick n mortar or internet you still have to make the customers happy. Good service goes a long way in either model.

Back
Top Bottom