Biomechanics of finning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to get a handle on the biomechanics of finning. There is a large quantity of information on techniques and what the various kicks look like. But, a paucity of information on just what muscles and bone structure are used for those kicks.

Any information on the biomechanics and exercises that can be used to strengthen those structures and muscles?

Below is an article extract regarding the breaststroke or frog kick which I presume may be relevant to "finning". It is from a free copy of a journaled article on swimming injuries http://www.udel.edu/PT/PT Clinical ...ention Strategies in Competitive Swimmers.pdf . Biomechanical terms used include "adduct" referring to movement toward centerline, "abduct" referring to movement away from centerline, "valgus" referring to the effect of forces toward centerline (i.e. as applied to the knees, the reaction is the "knock-kneed" position), and "varus" meaning forces away from centerline (i.e. the reaction is the "bow-legged" position). Other anatomical terms will be pictured or defined in most any comprehensive anatomy book.

Breaststroke swimmers have a fivefold higher risk of knee pain (relative risk, 5.1), although most occurs in the medial compartment, whereas freestyle has a reduced relative risk (0.5) for knee pain.23 The biomechanics of the breaststroke generates high valgus loads due to the adducted hip position. Extreme hip abduction angles at kick initiation can be detrimental. For example, a study of 21 competitive swimmers reported that hip abduction angles of less than 37° or greater than 42° were associated with a higher knee injury rate.46

Increased varus and valgus loads also occur in the knee in addition to rapid knee extension. Due to the kick style in the breaststroke technique, increased tension across the medial compartment and increased compression of the lateral compartment occur.34 Clinical and arthroscopic examination of 9 breaststroke swimmers with medial knee pain found medial compartment synovitis in 7 swimmers.21 Rovere and Nichols proposed that inflammation and fibrosis of the synovial plica cause medial knee pain; they found thickened and tender medial plica in 47% of breaststroke swimmers with medial knee pain.37

There is increased strain of the medial collateral ligament (MCL) due to high valgus loads during the whip kick, which can present with tenderness of the femoral or tibial origin of the MCL.19 Repetitive valgus loads may result in pes anserinus tendinitis or bursitis.35 Strain injuries of the hip flexors and adductors (particularly adductor magnus and brevis) occur in breaststroke swimmers.35

Why did you put the word finning in quotations? "finning"

Seems to me among all the professional medical people on this board someone should know what muscles, bones and other biology are properly used in finning, which seems to be different that swimming. My interest is to know what specific anatomical features could benefit from focused exercise. My belief is that people who do not fin correctly do so not because they don't know what to do; but because they are not physically capable of easily doing so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom