Finding potential drysuit leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to consider some suit materials show or form condensation more than others. My Bare NexGen forms no condensation even when diving on a hot day and I'm sweating profusely in it, on the other hand when using my fusion the outside of the undergarments will always be moist no matter the conditions. Can you tell us the suit you are using and also if it uses SiTech or Apeks valves?

I think it's the Apeks valve. I don't dive shrinkwrap anymore.

I've had lots of leaks that didn't result in sloshing feet. More likely a soaked arm, or a wet crotch. Right now, I have a balance valve problem in my p-valve, that results in a damp thigh. Lots of leaks can be hard to tell from condensation.

I just went through the whole find the mysterious leak thing with my Fusion, My left arm was always wet and finally I swapped out the Apeks valve with the SiTech from my Bare an no more leaks. I contacted Whites and the rep stated that they have had many complaints since they switch over to Apeks valves. Weather it is the valve itself or this valve just does not work with the outer compression layer, I don't know. Whites did swap out the valve at no charge for a SiTech, two thumbs up for Whites CS.

If you notice an area that's actually wet, that can suggest where the water is coming from:
through an exhaust valve if you are not keeping enough air in the suit/trying to dive it too squeezed (that's usually localized in the arm),

I don't want to hijack this thread by far but I'm intrigued by this comment. If someone wants to answer in the thread or you can PM me but I'm having this problem where water is coming in through the exhaust valve. It's not much but theres a little. I wasn't aware if your suit is squeezed too much it can do this. Can someone halfway explain how this happens. I thought the exhaust was a one way valve? I'm thinking this might be my problem but not sure. I'm a newly minted drysuit diver with only around 4 dives or so on it and I'm still trying to get the feel of the bubble.

I don't want to hijack this thread by far but I'm intrigued by this comment. If someone wants to answer in the thread or you can PM me but I'm having this problem where water is coming in through the exhaust valve. It's not much but theres a little. I wasn't aware if your suit is squeezed too much it can do this. Can someone halfway explain how this happens. I thought the exhaust was a one way valve? I'm thinking this might be my problem but not sure. I'm a newly minted drysuit diver with only around 4 dives or so on it and I'm still trying to get the feel of the bubble.
One way valves can become two way valves fairly easily. What brand is your valve and how old is it? A salt crystal or piece of sand can cause all kinds of problems. Tear it down and inspect it, then clean it up, after a good soak in warm water mixed with some vinegar.

I think I found out my problem. Its a new DUI suit with only about 5 dives in freshwater on it...turns out the valve was a hair on the loose side. Tightened it up so I'll find out tomorrow if that fixed the problem.

Loose valves can happen on trilams, but it's a given on neoprene drysuits as the material compresses a bit with initial use, so they need to be snugged up every few dives until the suit material is fully compressed.

Any kind of squeeze at the valve itself sets up the negative pressure gradient needed to get water to leak in past the valve, whether it's something on the seat like salt, sand, a scratch, etc or a leak between the valve and flange itself.

With a couple valve and undergarment combinations, the undergarment can inhibit venting the suit, leading to the diver trying to manually vent more gas from the suit, and in any case with any valve/under garment combination if the diver continues to try to vent the suit by pressing the valve open manually after the suit has dumped all the gas near the valve, it will let water back in.

In one particular case I had a valve flange in the suit that leaked under the flange, but that's pretty rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom