Where can I get a bottom boot for Old rounded bottom Steel 72's from the 60's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear Forum,
I have a couple steel tanks from the 60's. You know, the type that have the tapered threads for the valve and are a little bit rounded on the bottom...
Mine don't have the tank bottom boots. I like the way they look without them, but I can't really stand them up that easily, and I worry about the bottoms scratching and introducing rust.

Do you know of anybody that is selling those? I bought some rubbery bendy ones from a dive shop out east and they were so floppy that they would slide right off, and shift around in them. So I sent them back.

I measured the diameter and it was 6 7/8"

What would you recommend?

The steels I bought last year are round bottom too . . . I think if you find a steel tank boot of the correct diameter, you will be fine . . . which should not be too hard.

- Tim

check with your lds. they should be able to order some.

Trident has a boot for the 72 CF cylinders. The fit can varry a litttle across the range of cylinders. Virtually any dive shop can order them.

Pete

Thanks all, I will check into those options.

Whatever you get be sure it's the newer style UK self draining boot. If someone offers you some used rubbery cling on boots run the other way. unless you have religion about removing boots after every dive they are tank killers.You also want to make sure they either have the spider to prevent ground contact or carry the cylinder high enough to protect the very bottom from abrasion.

Pete

Being contrarian, I like the old rubber type slip on boots. The ones that have no grooves and are of soft neoprene rubber. I have not seen these available in decades. My newest Faber came with one very similar however so somebody must make them? This type of boot is and was supposed to be removed after diving for cleaning. Unlike the hard plastic boots so common on aluminum cylinders, they were easy to remove and install, slipped on and off easy. Why do I prefer them, because they do not beat up the deck of my boat. Those plastic boots they make now are nearly as bad as no boot when it comes to damaging boat decks.

N

Nemrod as you say with regular removal I can even see some advantages, like not having the points of the boot hexagon poking at you.

And then one could try to be vintage, hummm? Check looking in scuba mfgs 1960s catalogs to see what boots were available for your tanks at that time period. Seeing as how this is supposed to be a vintage section of the SB forums, that might just be appropriate. Look on the VDH website for appropriate catalogs and then do an eBay search or ask here or there to see if someone has that specific boot. They seem to be available from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom