Roatan - recommend places for OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vicnluke

New
Reaction score
Hi there, you all are a great resource for newbies! I have been reading past posts but haven't found all of the information I need so I hope you can give me a hand.

I am looking to get my OW certification and was drawn to the Bay Islands for the price and reputation of having quality dive instruction. I will be traveling with my boyfriend, who is already certified. He won't want to dive more than every other day, but he is very active and will want to snorkel and kayak and wander around town on his non-diving days, while I am getting certified.

We are in our 40s and 50s, and while we like to have a good time we don't need to be in a crazy party environment. We both like staying on or very near a nice beach with good snorkeling off shore. So, I have pretty much narrowed our location down to West Bay, although I would consider West End if there was a place with kayaks for us to use.

We are budget travelers, and usually never spend more than $100-125 per night for accommodations, and would like to keep it much lower if possible. On Roatan, where accommodations can be had pretty cheaply, I would only consider approaching that level if there were kayaks to use, a nice beach and good snorkeling off shore. I could find something without bothering you all, but I realize that this vacation will be a lot more enjoyable if our accommodations are near the dive operator I choose, so I can't choose a place to stay without thinking about the diving instruction nearby.

For my OW certification, the highest priority for me is safety. I am the type of person who loves adventurous activities (whitewater canoeing, sea kayaking, etc.), but researches all of the safety issues and has all of the safety gear. I like to challenge myself, but I don't like to take short cuts, and while I am learning I want to know that if I get scared or something goes wrong, someone will be right there to help. I would like to find a dive operator that has a small instructor/student ratio, excellent equipment standards, and lots of patience for newbies. A 4 or 5:1 ratio, or less, for students to instructors would be ideal.

Any thoughts from the experts on whether I can meet both my accommodation and diving goals in Roatan? Thanks!

Wow Shawnda, you might have found us the perfect spot. Thanks! It's got beach, it's a little away from town so it's quiet, and I see there are good reviews of the dive training. I like that the rooms are right next to the dock, and apparently you can take a water taxi right from the dock. I emailed them for more details on pricing, but from their website it appears to be reasonable. Anyone know if they have a fridge in the rooms? I will ask them as well.

Any other suggestions, or should I roll with it?

Oh, and I forgot, Tita's Bar is right next door.......... its one of our favorite hangouts for lunch and drinks !

Check out Camp Bay Beach Adventure Lodge. It's on the east end and very quiet and secluded. Was just there near the end of October and had a great time. Had the chance to name my own dive site, since I was there first dive customer. Noel's wall pretty cool. Tell them Noel sent you.

Thanks Noel, that place looks like paradise. But we are looking for something (well) under $100 night for lodging, and my BF does not want to buy a dive package. He will probably just dive a couple of times. Plus, I like the idea of being within easy walking distance of the West End activity, but not right in the center of it. We both tend to get bored easily and will want the diversion of walking into "town" and checking things out, or taking a water taxi to West Beach, during non-diving and non-kayaking time.

Shawnda, I checked out the reviews for Tita's. Looks like the perfect place to be right outside our door! The volleyball court will make BF very happy and keep him busy during some of my instruction time. And I read on Tripadvisor that Sueno Del Mar has kayaks available, and mini fridges in the room to keep the beer and sandwich stuff cold. Really, I think it fits all of our requirements and then some. Thanks so much!

I think Coconut Tree Divers in West End is a great spot for any course work at all. The crew is very knowledgeable, safety conscious and a tad eccentric which makes them so fun. We were already OW certified when we dove with them the first time, but we really felt like we learned to dive with them. You can stay in a little cabin on site or some place like Roatan, Posada Las Orquídeas - Welcome that have kitchenettes in them and a very short walk to everything.

beware, you'll probably not be hanging at the beaches, due to sand fleas. Very pesky dudes.

You may also want to consider Western Divers.

Back
Top Bottom