what happened with George Irvine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fidelinho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
when one look at the "history" of the DIR we can find a JJ and George Irvine.
It is easy to find old articles and videos.
But then he dissapeared (I assume after the death of Robert Palmer)
I looked around and I found no current information.

does anyone knows what happened to him? (just trying to make a picture)

Thanks
Fidel

He is the founder and president of Gavin Water Sports, Inc. (formerly Gavin Scooters, Inc.)

Hi,
when one look at the "history" of the DIR we can find a JJ and George Irvine.
It is easy to find old articles and videos.
But then he dissapeared (I assume after the death of Robert Palmer)
I looked around and I found no current information.

does anyone knows what happened to him? (just trying to make a picture)

Thanks
Fidel
George still dives for fun, but he took over his Dad's business...and it was a large business to take over...meaning no where near enough time to be involved in WKPP projects any longer.
The business is Marine Products & Towers | Fort Lauderdale, FL
He has just done mostly fun dives since around 2006 or so, if memory serves.

I miss George. If it wasn't for George I wouldn't be diving at the level I am at today. People disagree with his style but he was the catalyst for a revolution in diving. Technical diving underwent a big change that is evident even today because of people like George, Kane, Jammer6, and forums like Techdiver and rec.scuba where it was no-holds-barred.

Do I need to remind anyone the history around those people and why this subforum had to be designated a no-trolling forum?

These days, in most circles, if you walk in and drop the S**** word it's not very appreciated.

As for the names mentioned and rec.scuba... I was there. It wasn't pretty. But I do have to say, it wasn't censored! Double edge sword I suppose.

Sometimes I really miss George. I'd love to be able to call in an airstrike from him occasionally when the b.s. gets too thick. But having hordes of the newly fundified running around trying to emulate him is something best avoided...

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom