Gropers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. if it were in your basic class I can understand the instructor grabbing the front BC strap (I do that alot even with women) but groping...I would report the incident.

Diving in a group with a groper...time to find a new buddy.

I was in an AOW class once with my wife when she was doing kelp dives exercises in the pool. Her bra had shifted which completely exposed here breasts (her the only female in the midst of many men). No one bothered to tell her even while their eyes were on her for a few minutes like that while she did her drills. I thought someone would, I was a ways off so as to not interfere but then I finally said something. The DM and instructor commented that it is one of the perks of being an instructor. Neither myself nor my wife took any offense to the incident or comment (we're not puritans nor are we shy) but I would have still expected them to not treat her like a spectacle like that.

---------- Post Merged at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I frequently mentor people and DM with many women. Sometimes I have to make adjustments which may require my hands to be near the chest area. I always precede it with a warning that I'm not feeling anyone up, leave a choice to opt out, and if there's a female near by I can walk her through the task. I've never had anyone opt out yet. But I won't put my hands anywhere near a women's groin at all if it can be avoided. I've only done it once to check the stress on a crotch strap but it was with consent and done very cautiously. As a DM/AI/Instructor who only works with equipment that routes around those areas it is inevitable to have a need to tighten or loosen something from near those areas. Always warn what is necessary and give chance to opt out or other options or something so it doesn't come as a surprise and do so very professionally if the need arises. Often I'll remove the gear and adjust it until just right but sometimes that is impractical. There's no need to be perv. These are your future dive partners and drinking buddies. Save it for after the beers :) :) :D :D :) :eyebrow: :drooling: :laughing: :tongue2: :wink: :D

[EDIT] I noticed this was a Women's Perspective group after I posted. I didn't remove it because I thought the perspective was fruitful to the conversation but will if asked.

No. Through the layers of neoprene I generally wear, I would not think that a grope underwater would be very attractive except to a sickie with a good imagination. If it is happening, I would recommend dealing with it, because not discussing it will encourage repeated attempts. It's not normal, and neither is he.

Some men, fortunately rare, are pigs no matter if they are wallering around on the ground or in the water like a Manatee. While I am a man, I have not heard from any other lady divers about this. Not to say it hasn't happened. If I were to know about it I would prolly nail the guy in the nards with my right foot!! I do apologize if any pigs have done this. Bruce

Not sure why, but I've been groped a few times myself. Unless it is done by one of my regular female dive buddies, I do find it mildly distasteful. I can understand why a woman would feel the same way.

I grouped myself once but it was an accident and I was drunk.

My wife groped a guy once, thinking it was me and I was ignoring her attempts to get my attention. No one was more shocked than she. I guess they all do look the same .... when covered by massive amounts of neoprene. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom