New diver seriously considering pro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the issue, the diving industry is all about recreation and spending money. Right now, the vast majority of people in the world are just trying to survive, not spend money on recreational activities. The times have changed and 10 years ago when I was teaching full-time, things were very different, the industry was growing at such a rapid pace, there was enough room for anyone who wanted a piece of the action. Today (as mentioned may times above) the industry has contracted substantially, there are lots of DM's and Instructors out their who have given up the fight to find work and went into other industries.

I started assistant teaching at 22 and was an instructor a year later. However, I already had a guaranteed job when I got started in the industry as my friend was an instructor and wanted me to teach with him. After we closed the company down and I was on my own looking for instructor work, I realized there wasn't any money in teaching. When I mean no money, I mean NO money, you've gotta work at a shop selling gear to make ANY money in this industry. When your at the shop selling gear, you aren't teaching. When your teaching, you're not at the shop selling gear. But being an instructor or DM for hire whenever you have the time off, you'll be lucky to make ends meet. Most companies don't provide room and board and most of the money made as a DM is in tips, not hourly rate. You work your ass off dealing with the worst divers imaginable, dealing with gear, conditions and of course wrangling the divers. Its really a topside job, with a tiny bit of diving, most of which isn't "fun" diving, its keeping an eye on the idiots.

If I were you, I'd dive recreationally and enjoy what you have. Real divers find a puddle and adapt to diving in that puddle, just to get wet. So I think you should just focus on enjoying what you have.

Trying to get in the industry right now is futile, there are already thousands of people who want the limited jobs on the market today. That includes product manufacturer jobs, which is the saddest part because working for a manufacturer would be great. :(

Hi Bjarki, I was really surprised by the negative tone in most of the replies you received. They may be accurate but came across so negative I felt I wanted to give my impressions also. I have a masters degree. I worked in my chosen field for 30 years. I accumulated and lost tons of money and material things. I had a very high stress job and was miserable. About a year ago my husband and I decided to make a big lifestyle change and become dive instructors in the Carribean. We now live if Utila, Honduras. I am completing my MSDT. My husband is in the IDC instructor course. As in any industry, if you shine you will be hired. There are jobs available. 5 friends have recently just got hired, 2 in Playa Del Carmen, 1 in Utila, 1 in Belize, and 1 in Mexico. The lifestyle is the reason to do it, not because you will make lots of money, as many have already beaten that topic to death, but there is nothing better than watching new divers get their OW certification and being able to dive for free nearly every day of your life, travel, and have tons of fun! I would highly recommend you follow your passion and dont let any ney sayers change your mind. Experience it for yourself and then you can decide. The dive instruction and cost of living is very inexpensive in Utila. If you'd like any more info u can email me: LunaUnderwater@gmail.com I wish you the best in your future endeavors, keep diving no matter what, Sincerely, Luna :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom