Lake Murray 11/08/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
Taking advantage of some great weather, I drove up to Murray and took a dip. I stopped at the metal tower and followed the goat trail down (1st time doing this). Geez! Getting down from the dirt onto the rocks was a bit rough, with the rebreather on my back, as it's about a 4 1/2' drop with a couple stepping stones. (Although getting back up was even harder :shakehead:) It was just an amazing day to be in the water (in a drysuit, of course). Temps from the surface to the 65' platform was 64°. Vis from the surface to about 58' was pretty decent at about 10', but after that it was lights out and got real dark. (Photos have been PS'd). On the way out, I ran into a couple of turtles on the tower and one was giving the other a piggy back ride...those Oklahoma turtles are real friendly to each other :wink:

Attachments

• 1TowerSurface.jpg
    1TowerSurface.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 2TowerSurface.JPG
    2TowerSurface.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 3DiverBelow.jpg
    3DiverBelow.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 69
  • 4Tower.jpg
    4Tower.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 5Platform.jpg
    5Platform.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 73
  • 6Platform.jpg
    6Platform.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 7Tire.jpg
    7Tire.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 8Turtles.jpg
    8Turtles.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 9Turtles.jpg
    9Turtles.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 10Turtles.jpg
    10Turtles.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 75
Franco,

So which trail did you opt to take, the one close to the tower or the one about 100 yards East that leads to a rocky cove?

Nice report. We've been diving Murray since the beginning of summer and the vis is holding between 8-15'. I've just been too lazy to post trip reports. Lol

Nice Franco! Impressed you made it down/up the trail...

Franco,

So which trail did you opt to take, the one close to the tower or the one about 100 yards East that leads to a rocky cove?
There's another trail? Is it easier? I took the trail down right from about where the 1st picture was taken. Getting geared up at the bottom was a real treat too (as well as unkitting too)! So...this other trail...I'm guessing it's not at the parking lot there by the tower?

Nice Franco! Impressed you made it down/up the trail...
Yeah, it was a PITA! I went right down where we saw those guys when we were diving off Johhny's POS. If there's another trail that's easier....I'm all over it!!!!
Did you go down to the Crab Trap ???
Frank--those 2 pictures that I've called "platforms", that's the Crab Trap. Has it always been so beat up and cut away or is it just rusting away? I made the mistake of being too close to it and my bail out cylinders hose got caught up in it. Fortunately, no blast of bubbles from the hose rupturing. Is there anything of interest off the crab trap?

Franco

I love the CRAB TRAP!!!!

There's another trail? Is it easier? I took the trail down right from about where the 1st picture was taken. Getting geared up at the bottom was a real treat too (as well as unkitting too)! So...this other trail...I'm guessing it's not at the parking lot there by the tower?

No, it's further West and requires either a long surface swim/flag tow, or a long underwater flag tow. I'll post a few pics when I get back from vacation in a few days. :)

Franco,

No, it's further West and requires either a long surface swim/flag tow, or a long underwater flag tow. I'll post a few pics when I get back from vacation in a few days. :)
Huh? 1st you said it was East and now you said West. Let's make it simple... North is (almost) looking across the lake from the metal tower. So... is it left (west) or right (east) as you're looking from the tower across the lake?

Huh? 1st you said it was East and now you said West. Let's make it simple... North is (almost) looking across the lake from the metal tower. So... is it left (west) or right (east) as you're looking from the tower across the lake?

Oops! East is the correct direction. Sorry about that. I have no idea why I said West the second time.....vacation brain I guess.

Yes, let's make it easy. If you are parked at the tower, drive East (right) in the offroad "parking" area until you have no choice but to get back on the road. Stop here. There is a trail at this point that leads down into a rocky cove. My distance above was also just a guesstimate. Next time I am up there I'll provide a more accurate measurement and I'll snap a pic or two. I looked through my pics and I have none of this trail.

Back
Top Bottom