Pony bottles/spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I agree with the guy who said that the gear that you aren't experienced with or aren't familiar with is a danger. So, my question is where to start learning? What should I looking for? Is there any literature available on internet? I do not care about agency - just give me the knowladge. I did NITROX I and drysuit course but I,ve never been faced with pony tanks procedures. Thanks

A pony can be attached to your tank and the regulater positioned exactly where your octo would be. With that configuration it is exactly the same as what you are experienced with. I hang my pony from the front of my BC and position the regulater where the octo would be, so again no difference. Where the difference comes in is remembering to open the pony valve in addition to your tank valve before entering the water. As long as you are following a check of equipment that should be no problem. Before every dive you should breathe your regs while watching your guage. If the valve isn't on it will be obvious - you won't get any air. NOTE: Some would disagree but IMO the octo from your main 1st stage should be moved to the pony. Three 2nd stages could get confusing and the octo on the main tank is unnecessary and an additional point of failure.

In my configuration I can pass the pony to another diver if they are out of air. Taking the pony off and passing it can be practiced in your living room untill it is comfortable and natural for you. I see no reason to take a class to begin using a pony. When you get one make sure it has enough capacity to get you to the surface from the depths you usually dive. I have a 13 cf (which some say is small). From deep dives a 19 cf is recommended.

---------- Post Merged at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:16 AM ----------

...found that I was considerably less comfortable than without the bailout/pony. In fact during one dive without my bailout/pony and without my spear gun my 40 minute dive at 70' resulted in a considerably increased sense of comfort and dramatically lower sac rate.

I have no doubt that in an emergency I would be more comfortable and better able to handle said emergency if I were less encumbered.

What ever works for you. Personally I feel naked without my pony. I've gotten so used to it being there that diving without it is like driving without my seatbelt on. I've found a very comfortable configuration where it doesn't encumber or interfere in any way. I simply will not dive without it. Different strokes. No black or white here.

I am planning to improve my diving safenees by using the pony bottle but the only possibility to learn how to deal with it is to take basic tech course or NITROX II (CMAS) which I am not interesting in at the moment. Also, I agree with the guy who said that the gear that you aren't experienced with or aren't familiar with is a danger. So, my question is where to start learning? What should I looking for?

There's no course for diving with a pony tank at any agency and especially not in Croatia. Basic tech or adv nitrox does not teach or promote pony dives of any kind. What they do cover is deco tanks - something completely different. At least by means of gas volume and mount style, not mention required skills.

You really do not need a pony tank...if you do, you need to take a tech course and start planning your dives differently because you've stepped outside of realm of recreational diving. Your buddy, proper dive plan and maintained equipment do not call for pony tanks.

If you dive solo, then forget what I wrote but still consider doubles.

I don't want to be redundant so I won't... previous posters have already covered anything I'd say. Although in my 50 years of diving I can't remember the last time I had a free flow, I feel much safer with a totally independent air source when I dive since I'm almost always solo.

There's no course for diving with a pony tank at any agency and especially not in Croatia. Basic tech or adv nitrox does not teach or promote pony dives of any kind. What they do cover is deco tanks - something completely different. At least by means of gas volume and mount style, not mention required skills.

You really do not need a pony tank...if you do, you need to take a tech course and start planning your dives differently because you've stepped outside of realm of recreational diving. Your buddy, proper dive plan and maintained equipment do not call for pony tanks.

If you dive solo, then forget what I wrote but still consider doubles.

The PADI Self Reliant Diver course covers the use of a pony, not sure about other "solo" courses though

Hey folks can I ask why spare air bottles.pony bottles etc don't just run their hoses from their first stage right alongside/fixed to your main hose to your reg and into a Y connector to your regulator. Ie have tap that takes the air from your main bottle then flip the lever to go onto your emergency air. Wouldn't that uncomplicate hoses etc?

I suspect that as recreational diving continues to evolve, that technology will develop to utilize a bailout block system, similar to that used today in commercial diving. Although there have been some changes to equipment over the years, these changes have been slow and mainly directed to areas such as diving computers and closed-circuit breathing systems. Diver ergonomics have (for the most part) not been addressed by the equipment manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom