PMs CENSORED ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After nearly two years on the board I have just realized that PMs are censored for content. While I realize there must be some rules for the main board (family orientated) I feel that censorship in PMs is going overboard, treat us like adults and give us some choice and credibility.

cdiver2:
After nearly two years on the board I have just realized that PMs are censored for content. While I realize there must be some rules for the main board (family orientated) I feel that censorship in PMs is going overboard, treat us like adults and give us some choice and credibility.

Obviously, I don't know the nature of your PM, but my first thought is that I'd rather not get obnoxious PMs. I get enough obnoxious SPAM.

I'm sure you are credible, and could make good choices, but not everyone on the 'net can. Anonymous sites like this, but without censorship, encourage perverts and weirdos.

I believe that we should be willing to give up a little freedom in order to keep the site a little nicer.

Again, I doubt if your post falls into these categories, or you wouldn’t be complaining publicly. But I do believe that we should be willing to give up a little personal freedom to keep the site a little nicer.

Just my first reactions, and humble opinion.

cdiver2:

It's just the way our program v-bulletin works. The words that are censored for the board, also are censored for PMs. Sorry.

3dent:
Obviously, I don't know the nature of your PM, but my first thought is that I'd rather not get obnoxious PMs. I get enough obnoxious SPAM.

I'm sure you are credible, and could make good choices, but not everyone on the 'net can. Anonymous sites like this, but without censorship, encourage perverts and weirdos.

I believe that we should be willing to give up a little freedom in order to keep the site a little nicer.

Again, I doubt if your post falls into these categories, or you wouldn’t be complaining publicly. But I do believe that we should be willing to give up a little personal freedom to keep the site a little nicer.

I do agree but we have to be given some latitude, even god gave us the option to make decisions. If some one abuses the system then deal with them just like on the main board.
What I said was whilst trying to catch a gator I fell in the lake and it scared the s**t out of me (fully spelled) when it was received it came out as ****. All I ask is give us a little leeway

3dent:
Anonymous sites like this, but without censorship, encourage perverts and weirdos.

The Scuba Stop and The Deco Stop don't use the censorship functions of v-Bulletin, and we haven't had much problem with perverts and wierdos... probably because the sites are largely self-policing, and unruly members get banned as soon as they become a problem.

If you want to be treated like an adult at the expense of mandatory niceness (ie. leeway), feel free to look there.

Natasha is correct though, the software doesn't allow you to have the net-nanny on for forums but not for PMs. Its an all or nothing deal. It would be a nice feature though, perhaps a future version of V-Bulliton will add it?

WW

but I'm admittedly prudish. If a person can’t express himself without explicatives, I don’t want his PMs. When my daughter gets old enough to dive, and use sites like this, I want it clean. But, I do confess to being in a rare minority.

Natasha:
It's just the way our program v-bulletin works. The words that are censored for the board, also are censored for PMs. Sorry.

Not being computer literate I will take your word for it, thanks
David

3dent:
but I'm admittedly prudish. If a person can’t express himself without explicatives, I don’t want his PMs. When my daughter gets old enough to dive, and use sites like this, I want it clean. But, I do confess to being in a rare minority.

If I sent you a pm like that and you told me you don't like it then I would apologize and not do it again as it was not done to offend you I would hope you could accept that.
If we all thought alike it would be a colorless world indeed thank god we are individuals and should be able to live and let live without forcing our views on each other.

It's a fact that as adults that we use "swear words" in our everyday conversation. Not everyone but most do. We also talk graphic to some of our friends, I know I do, it's just who I am. I don't think that the filter is a bad thing because there are children on this board. With that said I have recieved several PM's with very inventive ways of expressing thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom