what makes a diving agency a diving agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTD in south florida usually refers to the local teacher's union (United Teachers of Dade) -- and no i hadn't heard of the scuba agency UTD until i started reading on SB either! But what i've read on here, i would not mind diving with a GUE/UTD diver as long as they didn't mind diving with me! As divers, aren't we all here cause we like being under the water? There were 3 divers on the boat with us diving doubles with long hoses on wed (Gue/UTD/DIR? I don't know? I didn't want to bother them and the chocolate was calling) - they stayed quiet and dove with each other - nobody on the boat gave them any hassles (not that we would) and they seemed to be having fun like we did at the graveyard. yes we dove the Neptune graveyard on halloween night :)

one thing that has been bugging me while reading this whole thread is that while no one seems to come up with an absolute definition for world-wide (since US vs other countries requirements differ) --- the argument with moonglow is moot unless you are either taking a class or booking a thrip *thru* their shop yes? (assuming the boat isn't owned by the shop) Unless i miss my guess on this, even booking thru them if you are just using them as an intermediary for the booking, isn't it the charter's decision on what card to honor? if the shop won't honor the card, contact the charter directly?
And to their response about fills/diving - it is your choice to do business with them or not.

Last edited:
Forgive my cynicism, but having such a structure in place will succeed in doing nothing but adding false creditability to the continuing the race to the bottom.

Forgive my cynicism, but having such a structure in place will succeed in doing nothing but adding false creditability to the continuing the race to the bottom.

Unfortunately, we are in agreement when it comes to that.

No, scuba is all about avoiding equipment solutions to skill problems, while DEMA is all about selling equipment in vain pursuit of solving skill problems.

suggesting that a convention like DEMA hold such industry organized standards. after all, scuba is all about the proper use of equipment.
The agendas at DEMA are along pecuniary lines. We could see some awfully odd standards that would rival some bills passed in Congress. What if the guys selling the electronic shark repellent pushed having to have one of these through? That would be awful!

Let's look at the reality of the situation. No agency has a horrible safety record. None of them are even close. As it is, I can find agencies that require snorkels, at least one that will let me opt out due to conditions and another one that believes that snorkels on Scuba are as useful as a screen on a submarine. As an instructor, I can pick and choose the agency I want based just on snorkels... or just on fin pivots... or on a litany of practices and procedures that are important to me and my students. When you have a ruling body, most of these variances would cease to be and I would be forced to conform. Fortunately, our cumulative safety records don't suggest that this is needed or even desired. Viva le difference!

suggesting that a convention like DEMA hold such industry organized standards. after all, scuba is all about the proper use of equipment.

As a reasonably experienced instructor trainer who has worked as a member of an agency's staff, who has served as a member of the training advisory panel for a technical diving agency, helped develop teaching and learning materials for several agencies, and who now serves as a consultant in the dive industry (specifically equipment design and marketing), I cannot imagine a less appropriate "solution."

DEMA has nothing to do with diver safety, training paradigms or standards. Nor should it. Diver safety BEGINS with personal responsibility. Blaming agency A or agency Z is a pointless exercise. To a very great extent, the standards and procedures are in place.

Look closely at the circumstances of the last couple of dozen diver deaths and close calls. Primary issue is people trying to do something they have no business attempting. People die because they make ****-poor judgement calls. This has little or nothing to do with "diving agencies." It's about ignorance...

I find that scuba is more about the use of your brain ... the dive equipment is simply a means to an end, as there are many choices of equipment that will get the job done ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom