How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, here is the problem....there would be no move to protect this site, or the GPO, without the public outrage that this event created. I would think if the young man had presented a different attitude when first contacted, the matter would have ended right there. I don't think NWGD got his feelings hurt and therefore ranted. He realized that this kid wasn't likely to learn anything without pressure being exerted. Will he learn anything from this? Maybe not. If his parents came to his aid instead of publicly apologizing for his total disregard for anything living (as evidenced by his relishing the torture of animals on his FB page) it speaks that they don't have compassion for life either. I know MY parents would not have tolerated that behavior from me, at ALL.

All in all, if protection of either this site or this species comes from this event, it is all worth it. I seriously doubt all the attention this kid got did anything but puff his pathertic ego up even more.

This had nothing to do with the kid learning his lesson or being apologetic. Rather he was used as a pawn in a political process. He was the perfect character to make into a villain and then to be sacrificed as ameans to attempt to change a law.

Remember, he simply exercised his rights to engage in the pursuit of happiness. He was following all laws.

If this was “nothing personal” and could have been avoided if the kid had apologized to “BOB the Instructor” on the day of the incident, then will you people call the whole thing off if the kid says he is sorry now? Huh will you?

This is all about one kid who just must be taught a lesson?

A young kid hunts legally and gets harassed and his family threatened?

There's two sides to that as well ... the threats are now coming my way. Know what? As long as this site gets designated as a safe haven for octos, I'm OK with that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Speaking of two sides, the newspaper only covered one side of this story. There was no mention of the behind scenes character assassination and blacklisting that "Instructor Bob" has been coordinating with the dive shops.

And for the record, just what does it have to do with the fact that Bob is an instructor? That doesn't give him any special status or authority on this topic. It doesn't give him any right to "confront" the fisherman / diver.

Well, it is a blue state and if you can get the area protected, I'm all for that. But I think it's being gone about in slightly the wrong way.

Dylan Mayer, Octopus Hunter, Says He's Received Death Threats After Fishing In Puget Sound

Mayer told KIRO radio
he would not go hunting in that location in the future.

"I'm not gonna go there again," Mayer said. "That was a misunderstanding. I didn't know people were gonna get that mad. I didn't think they'd get mad at all."

---------- Post Merged at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Here is a statement released by the families of the 19-year-old boys:A Statement from the Families Regarding the Octopus in Cove 2
On November 1st, 2012 the Northwest Institute for Diving posted pictures and an article about an octopus that was caught in the waters off of Alki, near Seattle, in what is considered Cove 2. This story was posted on their business Facebook page as well as other blog websites. The Facebook post named the divers, as well as posted pictures of their vehicle including the license. This post immediately created a following of dedicated divers and has resulted in a public controversy that has grown to immense proportions and has taken on a life of its own. This story was also picked up and has been reported by the local news media, adding further attention and fueling the public response.
As with most stories that begin and grow in this manner, the facts got lost in translation and the truth was clouded by opinion and judgment of those reporting and those responding. The brunt of this controversy seems to have started when it was alleged that they had caught a female octopus that may or may not have been protecting eggs. This is inaccurate. An observer on the beach made that statement claiming it was a female, but it was unverified. The octopus was actually a male and was subsequently verified by the game warden.
Based on much of the content posted by responders, the bigger issue here seems to be judgment that the young men broke an unspoken and unwritten moral code of divers. These two young men went fishing in their local dive waters. Their intention was to go fishing for an octopus, take it home to filet and cook it to share with friends and family. They choose the local waters at Alki because this location was where they were comfortable and familiar as amateur divers. Considering both young men are only 19 years old, neither one was comfortable enough nor had the experience to go diving in the more open water of the Puget Sound.
They were following the fish and game law; they had obtained a legal fishing license that allowed them to catch one octopus per day. They were even following the rules of how to legally and properly catch an octopus. According to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife the instructions for fishing for octopus are as follows: Must be caught with hands or instrument which does not penetrate the OCTOPUS, except that octopus taken while angling with hook and line may be retained. The species listed as legal for capture are the Giant Pacific. There is no minimum size, but the license states the daily limit is 1. The fishing season is open year round and all areas of the Puget Sound are open with the exception of Marine Area 12. Marine area 12 is located in Hood Canal.
We, as the families, of these young men have decided to come forward and make a statement regarding these events because of some unfortunate actions of individuals that feel they are championing the cause. We would have never thought that this issue would go national, with our two young sons at the center of the controversy. Since this story has broken, the responses that we are reading on the various websites and blogs, have both of our families frightened and upset. There have been multiple threats of various violence towards the boys and our families. Our personal information has been hacked and posted on Facebook and the internet. The boys have been banned from several dive shops. Their personal information has been posted on the internet.
None of this information getting posted or hacked has a purpose except for those that wish to do harm or be malicious. We would request to the owners of the blogs, the owners of the Facebook's pages to please delete these pages from your sites. This information isn't just about these young men, but can lead others whose intent is to do harm to our families. Our sons are good young men and do not deserve the backlash that this has created. Our families do not deserve to live in fear based on the threats that have been made. Please keep this issue in perspective. This was about a couple of young men that were going fishing for the day. Nothing more. Nothing less. They were not aware they were doing anything wrong.
After experiencing the events that have transpired since the story was first reported, both young men would like to extend sincere apologies for their actions. It was not their intention to do anything wrong or malicious. It was not their intent to be irresponsible or immoral divers. They were simply a couple of young men, which are amateur divers, going fishing. Looking back, if they had known what they know now, they would not have gone diving that day. This was a mistake made from inexperience and unfamiliarity of the culture of diving. It is not a mistake that will be repeated. We would respectfully request that the privacy of our families and the privacy of our son's be respected.

chrpai, I was ambivalent towards (land) hunting until I really got to know the machinist where I used to work.

Amazing person. I now totally "get" hunting when it is done correctly. My problem with this incident is that I see no respect for "lesser" life-forms in the behavior exhibited by the alleged "hunter" in question.

As DD alluded to, and nobody seemed to understand, true hunters do not need to be watched and can be trusted to behave in a way that preserves and even improves the strength of the game that they seek. This is also a form of conservation.

My friend died of MS, pity, he could have added valuable insight to this discussion for those who haven't already made up their minds.

What a mess. Hope everyone involved can afford a lawyer cause I see it coming. Hopefully the story will keep mentioning "Facebook" and not "Scubaboard" cause I'd hate to see another defense fund have to be created.

---------- Post Merged at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:31 PM ----------

My problem with this incident is that I see no respect for "lesser" life-forms in the behavior exhibited by the alleged "hunter" in question.

How can you say either way? All we have here is the what the whipped up vigilante mob is saying. We've read all kinds of accusations including references to pyschopaths but how do we know ANY of this is true?

According to the newspaper article, the Huffington Post article and the family press release, they have it all wrong.

I think the discussion here has been pretty even-handed and restrained ... as it should be. I don't even mind that some of you have been critical of my actions ... that also is as it should be.

I wish some of the other conversations elsewhere had been like that ... it speaks well of our members ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting how such a non event gets such coverage.

In my humble opinion, "harvesting" any sea creature that does not have the experience to see a diver as potentially dangerous is like shooting fish in a barrel. Ranks right up there with going to a petting zoo to shoot things. At least wild deer and elk hide and run from hunters.

Did the great hunter feel great about killing something used to the presence of divers that does not expect them to harm him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom