Hello from Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hookdem

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello

Just got back from my first scuba experience in Oahu and im hooked.

As a non-certified diver I did a Discover scuba session with Reef Pirates and had a great experience. Now that Im back on the mainland, Ive been doing some research for certifications. After reading on and on, the gist of what I got was that it wasnt so much the agency you certify with but more importantly the instructor. So I found an instructor here in town that had good reviews and signed up, he does ANDI certification. Of course after signing up Ive been told by several different people that I shouldve gone with a PADI instructor or a so and so instructor, Im getting alot of mixed reviews on the different agencies...and now im pretty confused.

I only expect to dive recreationally while on vacations and perhaps a few times locally but not at an extreme level. Im not finding much info on how the different agencies vary from one another, and how it works when its time to pick a dive operation to dive with while on a vacation like the one i just got back from. Please shed some light if you can.

Is the ANDI program that different from PADI?

Will I be restricted in who and where I can dive if I am not PADI certified?

Thanks,
Hookdem!

Hi Hookdem,

I'd better let the experts answer more fully, but there are several diving certification agencies. I'm not familiar with ANDI; the only ones I've really seen all over my reading and researching are PADI and NAUI. But I do want to welcome you to the forum and to the addiction that is diving!

LSF
:coffee:

All agencies that are signed on to the International Agreement Teach the same basics, just package it a little different and add some different things. ANDI from what I found is bigger into tech diving much like TDI. The most important part of training is the instructor no matter what agency.

There will be no difficulty diving with an ANDI card. They are a long time technical diving agency known around the world. Some newer shops that have a narrow view of the diving world may question you but the easiest way to avoid issues is to simply call or email ahead to your destination. If someone gives you a problem don't use them. If they are not familiar with most agencies or try to talk you into something else, it's likely there's more they are not up on. You are going to fins that in many areas the most important card you'll need is a VISA or MasterCard.

As for the same basic course comment, this is far from accurate. Agencies differ greatly in the standards for their basic open water course. Some.require far more skills and knowledge as well as allow instructors more freedom to add to their courses.

I have the course standards for a basic class from nine different agencies in my library now. The differences are quite stark.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm an ANDI, Padi, SDI, TDI Instructor. I can tell you flat out the ANDI program is much more comprehensive than any other program I have ever reviewed... Its more of an old schoold program with multiple lectures and pool sessions.. The academics covered encompass materials that need to be added by other agencies continuing ed programs.

Another difference if the "optional" dives are conducted ANDI's OW certification is a 30m/100 fsw one as opposed to 18m/60 fsw for the PADI program..

Also you can take Safeair sport diver along with the OW program (its about a 2 hour lecture) and you can do all you training dives on "nitrox" and will be certified to use 32 and 36 % right off the bat..

As to recognition, an perfect example is Greece, for a few years ANDI was the only OW program that could be LEGALLY taught... The program was the first international one to get EUF certification...

The textbook is a great reference.. It style is very different than the PADI materials...

If you have specific questions feel free to contact me...

Hello

Just got back from my first scuba experience in Oahu and im hooked.

As a non-certified diver I did a Discover scuba session with Reef Pirates and had a great experience. Now that Im back on the mainland, Ive been doing some research for certifications. After reading on and on, the gist of what I got was that it wasnt so much the agency you certify with but more importantly the instructor. So I found an instructor here in town that had good reviews and signed up, he does ANDI certification. Of course after signing up Ive been told by several different people that I shouldve gone with a PADI instructor or a so and so instructor, Im getting alot of mixed reviews on the different agencies...and now im pretty confused.

I only expect to dive recreationally while on vacations and perhaps a few times locally but not at an extreme level. Im not finding much info on how the different agencies vary from one another, and how it works when its time to pick a dive operation to dive with while on a vacation like the one i just got back from. Please shed some light if you can.

Is the ANDI program that different from PADI?

Will I be restricted in who and where I can dive if I am not PADI certified?

Thanks,
Hookdem!

Thanks guys, the responses really help. So I will be going through with the ANDI cert, and look forward to learning from the group here. So far, most of my scuba related google searches have led to threads on this forum, which is why I went ahead and registered, figured might as well go straight to the source!

My first bit of info that i can share that may help the community... Beware of fake "Oculus Red Filters" for the gopro dive mount. Before I left for my Oahu trip, I scrambled to find a red filter (one week out) so I was limited to ordering what was available as "buy it now" on ebay. Backscatter's were on backorder, the SRP Dome hadnt released yet, and i didnt want to dismantle my new dive case. Of course I went with the oculus red filter that was $30 vs the more common $50 listings. Well, I got it, and upon closer inspection, it looks like a kid took some red acrylic to shop class and jig sawed a stencil based from a real one. The cutting job wasnt that bad and they used a red bungee similar to the real one, but the filter itself is a dark red and doesnt have the engraved "oculus" or "red filter" wording. So bid with caution...or just get the Dome, now that its available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom