Hints for a new Dry Suit owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You use KY jelly to put the seals on or off.

Although some people use talc to put on the seals, I prefer the KY because in lumpy sea conditions talc ends up everywhere and KY jelly does not :)

I use talc on the seals between dives and for storage ie on dry land where it does not splatter anyone but me.

BTW you'll love the Emotion - mine is a week old and after today I love it. One thing I would say though is play a little with the undersuit and drysuit suspenders - it can make a bit difference to how comfortable you'll feel. I tightened my undersuit suspenders for today's dive and it made a big difference to mobility.

You use KY jelly to put the seals on or off.

Although some people use talc to put on the seals, I prefer the KY because in lumpy sea conditions talc ends up everywhere and KY jelly does not :)

I use talc on the seals between dives and for storage ie on dry land where it does not splatter anyone but me.

BTW you'll love the Emotion - mine is a week old and after today I love it. One thing I would say though is play a little with the undersuit and drysuit suspenders - it can make a bit difference to how comfortable you'll feel. I tightened my undersuit suspenders for today's dive and it made a big difference to mobility.

Thanks Dbulmer! I will play with the suspenders to get a comfortable fit. My first dives in it will be in your area, in Vobster. Maybe I will see you around there!

---------- Post Merged at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:36 PM ----------

One of the things I would recommend doing with a dry suit is periodically soaking the exhaust valve overnight in fresh water, and also using a hose to put some water through the valve from inside out. The floppy diaphragms in those valves can get sticky with marine goo and not dump well. If you are going to use the suit a lot, it's not a bad idea to have the o-rings for the inflator valve in your save-a-dive kit, as those valves are prone to leakage with heavy use as well.

Interesting that a number of people mentioned the exhaust valve. I will do what you suggested with the fresh water. Good suggestion! Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I use this one:
It's not abrasive at all on the suit fabric. I started using it when I first started diving. I think these free diving belt are much better than the webbing belts normally used in diving.

I just wear it snug and it sort of sticks to you. They don't shift at all.
They are very easy to release, just pull the end and it releases right away.

Free divers have a need for an easily releasable belt, so if it works for free diving, it'll be well suited to scuba diving also.

Mako, makes a Marseille weight belt also. They have better prices than Rob Allen these days. You can find Mako on this forum in the manufactures section.

The biggest problem you will have with a Marseille belt is keeping an eye on it...they tend to walk away, if not watched closely.:wink:

I love my Marseille weight belt.....it matches my Jet fins, and doesn't make my ass look big!

-M

I actually saw this on the website of a Tel Aviv dive shop. Next time I am in Tel Aviv, I'll stop and pick one up. I like that its a different buckle than the harness.

I've never been a bit proponent of wearing normal weight belts, they're uncomfortable and nobody really likes them. I've tried many alternatives and the seasoft harnesses are what I liked the most. They have a very simple ditching system which was easy to figure out in a panic if you needed to. I also only put enough weight on my belt so if I had just the drysuit on, I'd be able to still be neutral or slightly positive. This way in case of an emergency, you're positive on the surface if you ditch your gear.

Avoid anything with silicone. Seal Saver may help that first set last, but make replacing a bear. UV tech is much better. Talc will help the seals glide on and when applied after drying, shield the latex from ozone. Of course you will put it back in the bag after drying. Stay away from sunscreen and insect repellent also when around a drysuit,

I use a weight belt with my drysuit. I have the rubber Marseille style weight belt that's normally used for freediving.
The typical v weights that are sold are 8 lb. and 11 lb. weights.

If you need a bit more weight than that, adding a weight belt is a good option.

With your Halcyon plate you wouldn't fit a v-weight bigger than an 11 lb. weight anyway...the plate has too much of a bend in it.

That being said, you probably wouldn't have much need for a weight bigger than 11 lbs. I have a 15 lb. v-weight that I never use. If I did need to use it, it would only work with a DSS plate and not a Halcyon plate.

Back to the weight belt...I love the Marseille style weight belts!
They don't slip, and you don't even realize it's there.

I keep one with 4 lbs. on it, and another one with 6 lbs.

P.S.................. Your buoyancy will go to hell.................You will need to practice. :D:wink:.

-M

I just wanted to throw this out there:

This is Halcyon's new V-weight pouch: Halcyon V-Weight Pouch for Double Tanks | Wreck Diver Supply

(I post that link as it is the only place I have seen it on the internet. I cannot find it on Halcyon's site for some reason).

I use it when diving double AL 80s (double steels are usually plenty heavy for the undergarments that I typically wear, so I do not use any additional weight).

The advantage to the V-weight pouch over a typical v-weight is that you can move weight where you need it (high or low), or mix it up and put weight in both pouches, but add a little more in the area needed most.

Anyway, just another option for you Bluewatersail, Mitch, et al. :)

Safe dives,

Cyp

That's a whole lot better than melting lead.

I might order one of those anyway, it would be a nice thing to have.
Thanks for posting the link!

-Mitch

I just got my 1st drysuit and have yet to dive it but did get stuck in it at home with no one to help me out of it and it was hot ! I have a frontzip and pulled it over my head but my arms were helplessly hung like a straight jacket. Steve Gamble, the drysuit guru did give me the tip to have a padded crotchstrap, since the nylon edge can wear a hole in it rather quickly.

That's a whole lot better than melting lead...

-Mitch

Yes sir, that is exactly what I was thinking.

Side note: I lucked into mine as I had planned a trip to San Marcos, TX to dive with 50Fathom here on SB. I walked into the shop he co-manages and he said "Hey, check these out. We just got them in."

My immediate reply, "One of those is mine." (He only had 2....lol).

Again, the link above is the only place that I have found them list online, but I have not done business with that shop, so I cannot offer any advice there. They may be great. Personally, I'd call Kyle at Extreme Exposure, or Wayne at Dive Seekers.

If you're careful with Seal Saver, you won't have an issue. I've been using it for years, and have never had problems with a wrist seal sticking.

I just wanted to throw this out there:

This is Halcyon's new V-weight pouch: Halcyon V-Weight Pouch for Double Tanks | Wreck Diver Supply

(I post that link as it is the only place I have seen it on the internet. I cannot find it on Halcyon's site for some reason).

I use it when diving double AL 80s (double steels are usually plenty heavy for the undergarments that I typically wear, so I do not use any additional weight).

The advantage to the V-weight pouch over a typical v-weight is that you can move weight where you need it (high or low), or mix it up and put weight in both pouches, but add a little more in the area needed most.

Anyway, just another option for you Bluewatersail, Mitch, et al. :)

Safe dives,

Cyp

Wow, that looks great! For home and travel! I am definatly going to find one of them!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom