Where do you keep your DIN regulator cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does the dust cap actually do?
I can see how it would be nice to have on there in the event of an accidental dunking, but what other purpose do teh really serve?

After the dive, I just take the regs off and put them in their bags. There's no need to have a dust cap as far as I can tell. I don't know what they are solving either.

I pulled them off all of my regs.

I use them primarily to keep the DIN threads from getting dinged up.

So I guess you don't soak or even rinse your regs after diving? That's what I use them for, and storage. No reason to allow small critters to make a home out of my first stages. If they did, can you imagine what would happen to their little ears when the reg is pressurized?

I put my regs on a tank (30 cu. ft.) that I have for just this purpose. Then I pressurize them and let them soak in the tub after each dive.

That's why I didn't see much use in the dust covers.

I should mention that I have 3 Dite Rite regs, the only come with a press on (not threaded) cap that only goes on to the non-threaded part of the DIN connection. I pulled those off, since they only got in the way when I was threading them into the tank valve.

I also have DIN Mk25/G250 regs for doubles. I don't have caps for those, and have never bought any.
The reason is because of how I clean them post dive.

That's my frame of reference for my previous opinion.

If I'm on a trip, I don't do anything to the regulators until the last day of the trip.

As has been previously mentioned, the use of the caps for the protection of the threads seems like a good idea. I had not thought of that before.

I have a couple of those Armor brand, double reg bags. They are always stored in those bags.

-Mitch

Last edited:
I take the screw on cap off the first stage and the screw in cap out of my tank valve and pair them together placing them in my reg bag and then in my $7 walmart rubbermaid bin.

I always left my regulator din cap tied to the first stage.

In our waters that could tie you to a kelp stalk behind your head which isn't a good idea. Best to have no entanglement hazards on your kit out of sake of convenience.

Just a question...why?
Because if you leave it there its much easier to lose it and you ensure its full of moisture when you put it onto the reg :wink:

Just a question...why?

Because it is always there when removing the regulator and I don't have to go looking for it. Maybe I am just lazy and this was convenient?

Because if you leave it there its much easier to lose it and you ensure its full of moisture when you put it onto the reg :wink:

Never lost one in over 17 years of diving. Blowing them dry with the tank valve was never something that I found that difficult to do.

Same as for me. I remove the tank plugs which keeps out dust and other stuff and prevents gas lost should the valve turn on during driving. (OBTW only use metal ones. They have save well over 75 dives) Remove the dust caps from the regs and screw them on to the plugs. Now place them in my bag or dive box. That way nothing gets into the dust caps and everything is together.

Which ones do you use? I'm going to buy some.
I figured I'd ask about the brand your using.

These are the ones that show up in a search:
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=1238

I remember seeing some a long time ago that had a pressure relief button in the middle.

Thanks,
Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom