Lost Diver at Mill Pond Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true, it's another very useful bit of information to supplement what you should have been reading from the cave. You shouldn't need it, but it is additional information.

Given how caves twist and turn, I'm not sure that's as useful as you might think ... it depends on how familiar you are with where you are at any given time (sorta negating the need for the compass) ... as well as whether or not you can even read it, if in a silt-out situation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It depends on the cave.

Some caves have a very pronounced directional trend, some do not. If you're in a straight line-ish cave, the compass can really help you out. If not, maybe not so much. Vis doesn't have to be zero, either. Just enough for you not to be able to see the line or have a clear indication of which way to go to start looking. The compass is just something that can help you out, and I don't get too worked up one way or another about it. It's pretty low on my list of 'go to' techniques for finding lines.

Given how caves twist and turn, I'm not sure that's as useful as you might think ... it depends on how familiar you are with where you are at any given time (sorta negating the need for the compass) ... as well as whether or not you can even read it, if in a silt-out situation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pretty much the only diving I do is in caves, I think I am a good judge how useful of a tool it can be.

The text you quoted was in response to to Brian saying a compass is mostly useless in a cave, not in a response to lost line or silt out. See my previous reply 2 lines before that.

If you are in true zero vis and lost line, a compass is of no use.

Agreed Ben--I don't think a compass is incredibly useful in a silt out. I don't think I'll ever benefit from it, but it's nice to know what direction I'm heading as it can be a sign that I'm on a tunnel I wasn't intending to be, or maybe one day it will help if I lose the line for reasons other than visibility. Plus it can help find the entrance if it's a sink you've never been to before but have directions :p

Reactions: Jax
Not true, it's another very useful bit of information to supplement what you should have been reading from the cave. You shouldn't need it, but it is additional information.
I can imagine if you've been turned in a circle and lost your line a compass could be of some use.

Just curious ... what would you do if your buddy was ahead of you going in ... and now on the side of the line leading further into the cave? I imagine it depends on circumstances ... but what would you consider viable options?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, I had this one. We were in a river cave with a team of four, big cave but rarely dove due to normally black water conditions. This was a rare opportunity with good vis, and the line is really old and fragile. I'm # 3, my friend is behind me. We go under a duck under and I'm continuing down the passage, great vis at this point but I'm fighting the rebreather with all the drastic depth changes, and my drysuit power inflater is leaking into the suit and I have to connect and disconnect it every time I go down. Thankfully, I dive with this particular friend a lot and if I don't see the spill of his light behind me, I immediately start looking. Sure enough, he's not there, I flag everyone down, go look under the ledge and he's up on the ceiling, holding both ends of the crumbling line. I oafishly touched it with my fin and it disintegrated. After a fix, we decided that was enough (Doh!) and called it.

I've got a thing about making sure the people in front of me are keeping track of whether I'm still there and I will often cover my light when I'm diving with someone for the first time and see if they turn around and look. If they don't look, I'll start moving it back and forth slowly, and if that doesn't work I'll flash them for real.

On the compass thing, I agree that it wouldn't be much use. When it's really zero vis, your 1000 watt LED looks like a dim orange spot when you hold it up to your mask.

I say it all the time and I know Kevin will agree with me here, there are a ton of lines in the first 500 feet of JB and you'd better have a whole bag of clothespins, a pile of jump spools and a lot of patience to learn it all cold. Work in progress here.

Last edited:
I use a compass that I'll reference from time to time while in large cave (especially if it's lower viz) so that if the line is lost visually I have a reference point and know how to run perpendicular to the passage to find it. We never rely on a compass for primary navigation, however.

Can't agree more... I don't cave dive alot so I depend on maps to plan my route, if I'm going to take a side passage I try and verify its going in the right direction as the map says... ALso if you do get turned around, you probably can figure it out alot quicker than waiting to find an arrow (if one exists) or reaching the end of another line..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom