Confession: Addicted to crappy fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been a diver for 6 years. The only piece of equipment I still use from my OW class is a cheap pair of Aeris Velocity fins. They are great for slow cruising dives and frog kicks. Flutter kicks are ok, but they have mediocre speed because they're so soft. A backwards kick doesn't work well, either. But I like them so much.

I bought a pair of OMS Slipstreams a couple years ago and I never use them. They felt so stiff, heavy, and tiring to use compared to my newbie fins.

So . . . has anyone else had a tough transition to stiff fins? Should I nut up and force myself to finally get used to "real" fins? I don't know if I can break up with my Velocity fins!

I don't care if you go bare foot, as long as you don't grab/disturb the environment to maneuver yourself or whack me with any bodily parts, we can have a good dive.

It is funny how we get used to a fin. I keep going back to Jets no matter how many I try. Unfortunately I can’t get one to fit my absurdly wide foot so use Hollis F1s on a drysuit. Good luck.

Been a diver for 6 years. The only piece of equipment I still use from my OW class is a cheap pair of Aeris Velocity fins. They are great for slow cruising dives and frog kicks. Flutter kicks are ok, but they have mediocre speed because they're so soft. A backwards kick doesn't work well, either. But I like them so much.

I bought a pair of OMS Slipstreams a couple years ago and I never use them. They felt so stiff, heavy, and tiring to use compared to my newbie fins.

So . . . has anyone else had a tough transition to stiff fins? Should I nut up and force myself to finally get used to "real" fins? I don't know if I can break up with my Velocity fins!

If you want those OMS fins to go to a good home PM me.

I would not consider the Aeris velocity to be cheap or crappy. I do agree that some of the "technical" (kicks for lack of a better term) are a challenge due to the length but they were a highly rated fin in the day. My wife and I still have some in service and I also enjoy Jets. I have a yellow pair coming in a few days to fit my drysuit boots. There can come a point where some physical conditioning is needed to drive a more aggressive fin. There's no free lunch.

If you like em u like em... nuff said. If you wanna go up a gear the mares quattro or the superchannel are worth looking at.

We have a phrase in cycling: HTFU

Google it.

:d

I too went with some OMS's for my DS and hate them..

I really like my scuba pro jet fins. They are stiff and heavy too. During open water class, i used several types of light weight split fins. Now that i am used to the jet fins, i recently had to borrow some fancy lightweight split fins (forgot the model, but they were Mares)... Needless to say i really missed thejet fins! They are effortless to use during the frog kick and i can really haul butt with a flutter kick!

I really like a soft and flexible fin like the Scuba Pro Jet. I don't know how people deal with stiff fins.

N

Back
Top Bottom