Ladies please evaluate this scuba tank caddy for my bad shoulder....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ladies,
I am asking you to evaluate this scuba tank caddy I am looking at. I have called the mfr and not received a call back, "We're assisting other clients, please leave your name and phone number." Ya Ya. Ok. Sure. You. Will.

I had surgery on my right shoulder Aug 2011 and April 2012 (not rotator cuff). I am released for diving however I cannot schlep my 80 or 100HP steel plus 16-20lbs of lead on my shoulders to the beach. I dive cold fresh water most of the time in Eastern Washington and those are all beach dives. (I'm not concerned about boat dives :shades: ) Some of my buddies offer to carry my gear, however since I am a "Type A" personality, letting control really tees me off! I know that's what buddies are there for, however one of my buddies is probably in a size 0, where I am a size 4, and none of my buddies are esteemed Himalayan sherpas either. I detest asking for so much help!!! I don't know how long this condition will dog me, but I can say also, that when I dove Malago Cove, in Rancho Palos Verdes CA, the hike back up the hill with my gear took about 20 minutes. It was a killer hike!!! So, I want you to pick this product apart for me. I'm only doing this because spending $250 without being able to get my hands on one is a major drawback. The nearest dealer is 200-300 miles away.

I have three concerns however you might raise more: (I like to be extremely streamlined)

First concern I have is the wheel system, once you schlep this to the water, inflate the b/c and then stow the wheels underneath, we have a bungy cord system that keeps them attached. How attached? Does it appear a little flimsy to you?

Second concern: the yellow bungies on the side that hold the gear in place, -----I can't figure out where they go after the b/c is donned over the shoulders? (entanglement hazzard)

Third concern: The "handle," where in heck would that be stowed, does my buddy need to shove it down the back of the b/c?

There is one other url I found, however the one I referenced allowed a "stop action" during playback so I could analyze it.

Fire away, I'm listening to every tiny tidbit you have to say!! And thankyou!!!

Beach Buddy - YouTube

BTW, If you are a Mod, I am asking for information as it would relate to me personally, not flaws in the manufacturing. I am in no way out to flame-out the inventor (it was a woman :blinking:) I am using this for my own research purposes before I shell out Big Bucks (no deer hunting season has not begun.....)

Hi Seahorse Deb
Whatabout just buying an old ladies shopping trolley, do away with the bag and keep just the frame. Load the gear on and wheel down to the waters edge and then go for your dive!!! If no bag on it, not much chance of it beeing nicked and can pick up for about 15 dollars. Even if stolen, think I have another 15 buys before I reach the cost of this trolley. Could also try an old golf trolley which would be taller so no bending and bigger wheels for rough terain. Am I being too girlie and thinking logically......!!!!! Chris

Whatabout just buying an old ladies shopping trolley

Chris,
I am actually going to a store today to look at one of those!!!
Thanks!!
Deb

Chris,
I am actually going to a store today to look at one of those!!!
Thanks!!
Deb
Hi - Are you now a young bird with an old bird's trolley?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry very english but hope you understand.........Chris. only 12 days to diving in Thailand - can't wait.......

How about something like this: Trailer Dolly - Sam's Club

You are in FW so just leave it in the water deep enough to be safe. With a bit of oil, hopefully your shoulder will heal before it rusts out.

Hi - Are you now a young bird with an old bird's trolley?????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry very english but hope you understand.........Chris. only 12 days to diving in Thailand - can't wait.......

Yes, that's one way of wording it, and I like it!!!! I have a repetitive motion injury to my right shoulder that required surgery Aug 2011 & April 2012.

---------- Post Merged at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:30 PM ----------

How about something like this: Trailer Dolly - Sam's Club

You are in FW so just leave it in the water deep enough to be safe. With a bit of oil, hopefully your shoulder will heal before it rusts out.

Good idea, I was wondering how to avoid theft, not that anyone would do that. There's not much left in my shoulder to rust out, since the Ol' Sawbones hacked into it twice. I just gotta get into the water though, with as little help as possible, so I gotta cart my kit to the water, stake it, stow the cart, and get down to blowing some serious bubbles!!!

thanks ladies, I'll give u a report soon......

Good idea, I was wondering how to avoid theft, not that anyone would do that. There's not much left in my shoulder to rust out, since the Ol' Sawbones hacked into it twice. I just gotta get into the water though, with as little help as possible, so I gotta cart my kit to the water, stake it, stow the cart, and get down to blowing some serious bubbles!!!

My bad grammar. I was talking about using oil to prevent the cart rusting.

I'd find a golf bag pull cart (new, used, or thrown out). Lots around, and they seem to make it to the curb, despite their usefullness.

Looks interesting....... I am very lucky and will accept help with my gear. I have a dive sherpa in the form of a husband. He really doesn't mind and I have learned to accept it.. I am 65 now and need a little help on land but do great in the water.

Let us know what you decide...

gail

Update: I looked at several carts, then had the "Aha" moment hit me. I need one that will be lightweight and fold down and fit in my suitcase for travel too. I travel with all my gear except tanks and weights, so I gave in and bought the system. It will be interesting to see how much "drag" it creates in the water, so I'm a bit hesitant. Oh well. It's definitely lightweight, construction looks very solid. I'm not going to haul it over big rocks, I don't want to test the wheels that far! Ease of use, ...well practice at home loading up your gear and wrapping the bungies, then reverse it all (as if u were in the water now preparing for your dive), stow the bungies and the handle so you stay streamlined.....so u see it does require effort. I have a cold water b/c so it is bulkier than the warm water ones, so by the time I got all my gear stowed as the video and instructions demonstrated, I had to really pull on those bungies. I will post a report after my next 48 degree fresh water dive in two weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom