Bent in Belize--Blue Hole Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading comprehension fail and a heck of an accusation.

He did not have nor was covered by DAN. He was covered by his travel insurance according to his accounts here.

Correct, I had travel insurance through existing plans from work. I did not (and still do not) have DAN-brand insurance, but I did have insurance coverage. When / if I return to diving I'll pick some up, but until I'm back in the water there isn't much point.

DAN was consulting with me about the accident and treatment options and THAT does speak volumes about them!

Correct, I had travel insurance through existing plans from work. I did not (and still do not) have DAN-brand insurance, but I did have insurance coverage. When / if I return to diving I'll pick some up, but until I'm back in the water there isn't much point.

DAN was consulting with me about the accident and treatment options and THAT does speak volumes about them!

It's not always obvious, but the non-profit part of DAN that provides barotrauma medical advice, education, training, etc. is separate from the for-profit insurance arm of DAN.

^ I did not know it was two different parts... Good to know thanks.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

And DAN in different regions/countries are completely separate organisations, sharing a name under a very loose umbrella. Most people are only eligible to purchase products from the DAN that services their region, but I have always been eligible for both DAN Europe and DAN Americas. Their insurance products are totally different, with DAN Europe offering cover for risks completely excluded by DAN Americas. I had my dive centre cover with DAN Europe, something not offered at all by DAN Americas, and vastly cheaper and more flexible it was than the PADI product. I still have my personal/professional cover with DAN Europe rather than DAN Americas.

Heh, almost thread necromancy here.

I just got an email from my cardiologist. I did get that echocardiogram and they saw the results this morning. Everything is normal, at least heart-wise. It wasn't a PFO that caused a problem; I don't have one. We'll have to chalk this one up to brain failure.

I still have some numbness in the figertips but I'm okay with that. I can live with that.

I haven't been diving since, of course. I still can't find a family doctor to coordinate health issues with, I may see if I can find someone in Vancouver to check me out before I go diving again. (That'll be in December at the soonest.)

That's very good news. I expect to see you back in the water before too long.

Wow, what a huge wake-up call. I'm in the process of getting DAN right now. Reminds you how scary things can be. I did a 100' dive on EANx without a depth gauge....with my fiancee who had a total of 10 dives. I even consider myself a careful person.

victorzamora:
Wow, what a huge wake-up call. I'm in the process of getting DAN right now. Reminds you how scary things can be. I did a 100' dive on EANx without a depth gauge....with my fiancee who had a total of 10 dives. I even consider myself a careful person.

Well your consideration of yourself as a careful person is a question then isn't it?

Yeah, a little bit. However, there was a well-known hard bottom depth and the EANx choice was selected with PLENTY of margin for error. We used the hard bottom depth as our depth (but stayed well above it) for our chart calculations before the next dive.

Doesn't matter. It should not have happened. Period. But it wasn't as life-threatening as other things I've done :D

Wow, thank you for the post..we can all learn from those who have had a dive incident and been brave enough to tell about it..I too got bent recently in Cozumel. We don't know why, I did everything right and safe and there was no mistake..except that i did not recognize that i had the skin bends and dove 3 more times till it went into my CNS..My first chamber ride was 5 1/2 hours followed by 3 days of rides at 2 1/2 hours...total bill was over $11,000 which Dan covered immediately ..they even had a DAN doctor respond to the chamber right after my first arrival and he came everyday of my treatments. Since you can not fly for 72 hours after your last treatment it cost me $500 in additional hotel stay and $1,000 in additional airfare..fortunately i also bought a small trip insurance policy that will cover this. If your a diver, even if you don't travel outside the US you should have DAN insurance..I once broke my foot diving locally and it developed into a blood clot that went into my lungs..after my insurance paid their part of the hospital i still owed over $2,000 DAN covered all of it..

Back
Top Bottom