May Be a Silly Question...but Liveaboards and Seasickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first trip on Blackbeard's I was seasick. It hit after about 2 hours on the boat. I spent the night on deck puking and thought I was going to die. About 3:30 in the morning it finally passed. I spent the rest of the day in my bunk replenishing my fluids. I was fine after that and dove the rest of the week.

My next trip on Blackbeard's I wore the patch behind my ear and had no seasickness at all.

I'd imagine it wasn't so much thinking you were going to die but WANTING to die. :)

In the middle of a stormy night on the Komodo Dancer, I went up to the salon in time to watch a water dispenser (five gallon bottle) which was lashed to a column get whipped so it fell over and poured water everywhere. It was in the middle of the trip, so we already had our sealegs. On the return to Bali after that trip, the swells coming in to the port were so big that my video on the boat would likely deter some potential passengers, but we rode it out better than I expected.

Another thing that helps is crystallized ginger-it helps keep the motion sickness at bay and is yummy, too! You can find it at health food stores.

Here's a question I've never seen anyone else ask....after being on a LOB for a week, do you ever get "land sickness"? You know, the feeling like the ground is swaying back and forth and you can't walk a straight line for a few days after you get off a boat. Weird!

I was given some ginger pills on a trip where I had used the patch and bonine and been pretty sick. The ginger pills worked great! Now I even purchase Ginger Gum (near the Dramamine in a CVS pharmacy) and take it to amusement parks and even on car rides.

I'd imagine it wasn't so much thinking you were going to die but WANTING to die. :)

I went through that phase, too !!!! At least it would have brought relief.

Back
Top Bottom