Mares Star LiquidSkin Mask faults

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digimak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

After trying around 15 masks over 2 years of diving I finally found one thats fits me perfectly and dosen't leak - Mares Star Liquidskin. YAY I thought!!!!

Unfortunately the mask lasted 5 dives before glass and surround fell out. I immediately returned it and got another one which lasted....1 dive before the exact same thing happened. I persevered and got a third one and again dive 3 same thing!!! Is this just a faulty batch or is this a common fault with them all?

Am I doomed to start my hunt for a perfect mask all over again?????

I have the Mares Kaila AT BCD, raptor fins, force knife, My husband has the Icon BCD, Force bat knive and raptor fins also ...to name but a few of your products we have purchased and have so far had NO FAULTS with any of them and highly recommend them whenever we can.

Even your rep commented on how much of your gear we were wearing when some of your staff came out on the dive boat we work on in Brisbane. Especially as at the time we had brough over our gear from the UK when we moved over in September and the A/T wasn't readily available over here yet in Oz.

If I purchase another Star Mask online from another stockist is it likely to again fall apart on me or is this a one time fault you are aware of?

Thanks in Advance.

H :)

I have problems with X-Vision , lower punch and frame fall apart just before dive ...lucky I have always spare mask in left pocket.

my advice ...buy frameless masks maybe little expensive but they are bulletproof . If you want mares I think that ESSENCE LIQUISKIN Essence LiquidSkin - Masks - Mares - just add water is build in that way but for my taste have little big volume.

I use scubapro frameless

Last edited:
Wow, I haven't heard of a specific issue with a production run of the Star L/S mask. The odds of you purchasing another mask "online" and having it come from the same production run is unlikely, but still possible. The mask is obviously under warranty, but this doesn't help you in the field. I recommend if this mask really fits you well, to try and hang in there with it. I LOVE this mask, and use it exclusively for freediving. I've had the same one for over 5 years. Yours should last this long as well.

I hope this helps.

Zak

I have a liquid skin with about 1,000 dives on it and the only problem is the skirt turned yellow and it looks like crap. But to be honest, it started out comfortable but ended up being a mask I had to wear too tight for some reason. After three dives the bridge of my nose is sore. I just picke up another one (cressi something) and no problems.

But no...never had a lens fall out, and trust me, they got banged around, stuffed in closed heel fins...dropped, loaned...you name it.

Thanks for the reassurance. I did buy a hollis M4 and tried it out last weekend and yesterday but again water leaked in from the top skirt throughout the whole dive :( So thats now on ebay!!!

My husband got the liquidskin essence and he is loving the visability it gives him but its also too big for my face. So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy my 4th star liquidskin! Might just try from a different supplier this time as I bought the last 3 from my local dive shop.

Wish me luck.

If you really have so small face than you should look on ''freediving masks'' or better ''spearfishing masks'' these have extremly small opening and volume for instance

Masks For Spearfishing And Freediving

try The Mares I3..I have looked for years to find one that fits...So far for me so good

I use this mask and had issues with it. Got it replaced sa couple of weeks ago and made a couple of dives w/o problems... In my case, i replaced the oem lenses with corrective ones. Im hoping to get 1000+ dives like Beautybelow said.... :D

Thanks for the reassurance. I did buy a hollis M4 and tried it out last weekend and yesterday but again water leaked in from the top skirt throughout the whole dive :( So thats now on ebay!!!

My husband got the liquidskin essence and he is loving the visability it gives him but its also too big for my face. So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy my 4th star liquidskin! Might just try from a different supplier this time as I bought the last 3 from my local dive shop.

Wish me luck.

I've owned several Mares masks (spearfishing liquid skin, Xvision, Essence, and one more that escapes me) but I've found that maybe it's just my face that doesn't fit correctly and it's not the mask. I ended up using a couple different Atomic masks and I haven't had any issues so I figure they are made to fit my face better. The people I gave my Mares masks to never had an issue with them so I think it was my face!

Out off all my gear i have the hardest time finding a mask. I went thru 5 before i found one that fit. i tried 2 mares liquidskin, a aqualung, a scubapro and currently dive a cressi big eyes (not the big eyes evo) so far so good. its one of those things that either fit or doesnt. as far a the mask failing, my son had the lens pop out of a mares xvision on its first dive out of the box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom