Switching regs from one cylinder to another U/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It can be done as stated above. You can also breath directly from the tank valve without a reg.

Um, yeah...I would HIGHLY....let me say again...HIGHLY recommend that this not even be attempted unless in an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT!

If you over extend the valve just a minute amount, (especially easy to do in a panic situation) you will go from getting a couple PSI squeezing by the valve opening to having 3,000 PSI trying to get out all at once. That would be enough to rip your mouth apart, blow out your lungs; eyes, and or sinuses....etc.

So, while it "can" be done...I would never do this unless absolutely necessary for pure survival!

(Why do I get the feeling you have been watching "Into the Blue" to much lately?)

The way it done is to let the air " BUBBLE " in to your mouth.... Not sticking the valve in with a lip lock... :blinking: And the valve is cracked " BEFORE " sticking your face in to the bubble stream... That's the way I was shown 40yrs ago by a navy frogman... LOL...

Jim...

You are talking about getting proper training on it. That is (as I mentioned) a absolute last ditch effort if needed. As I mentioned, it only takes a shaky, panicked hand to over crank the valve.

I know it can be done...but again...I do not recommend it at all...unless...it is life/death and it is your only way to get air. If you got into that situation in the first place...something tells me there were some serious operator safety violations. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom