Mystery fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Saw this little guy (and I mean LITTLE) in Avalon Saturday right in front of the steps in 3-5 feet of water. Although the first impression based on shape and movement is that he's a brand-new juvy Garibaldi, I've never seen coloration like this. Anyone have a clue (this is a frame grab from a video)????

Mystery fish in front of UW Park stairs (10-6-12) #1 zoom.jpg

Here's the video: Mystery fish at the UW Park in front of the stairs - kenkurtis' Photos

- Ken

You know I mean the small fish in the back, not the orange/blue guy in the front, right????

- Ken

As I informed Ken by e-mail after diving and filming it, this appears to be a baby white tail damsel (Stegastes leucorus). I am still waiting for confirmation of this from experts more knowledgeable than myself. They are a cooler water ("deep") tropical species whose northern geographic range extends to Guadalupe Island off Baja. Probably came up to Catalina as a larval from in the currents and has found our toasty waters this year suitable for growth. Good spot, Ken... I never would have seen it if you hadn't told me!

I did two dives to a maximum depth of 5-10 ft yesterday to film the little critter and here are two stills extracted from the HD video:

damsel%20whitetail%20collage%2001.jpg

Dan Gotshall, CA F&G fish ID guru (and author of many books on the subject) in an e-mail to Dr. Bill has concurred with Bill's initial thought that it's a juvy Whitetail Damsel (Stegastes leucorus). Previous northern end of the range was Guadalupe Island, 200 miles to the south of Catalina. So Dan says this is a record northernmost range sighting. Woo-hoo!!!!

- Ken

Just posted my most recent column (Dive Dry with Dr. Bill #506) about this on SB in the Marine Life and Ecosystems forum.

Ken deserves all the credit for spotting this tiny thing. I'm going to try a few night dives to film it under more even light than I can during the day.

Where did you see it?

I saw one of those just recently too. I thought that it was a juvi Garibaldi.

I'm planning a night dive (to a maximum depth of five to seven feet) tonight to film it under more uniform lighting conditions. At that depth I could be under for days... or at least until my battery or 64 GB flash memory runs out!

Where did you see it?

It was at Santa Barbara Island. I don't remember the dive spot though because I didn't think that it was anything but a baby Garibaldi, so I didn't take any special note. But now with this new photo and see its coloration differ from a juvenile Garibaldi, it really stands out as a different fish.

I thought I'd post a collage of pictures of the fish from the video I shot yesterday in the dive park.

damsel whitetail baby collage 2012-11-01.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom