Pulled back muscle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I pulled a muscle in my lower back last weekend and have mostly recovered. Driving is still a horrible experience, but other than that I'm pretty good. I haven't dove for 3 weeks now and really have the itch; especially since North Shore Oahu diving should be coming to a close soon. Other than getting from the road to the shoreline, should I be concerned? If I go this weekend it will be dive #7 & 8. I feel pretty good in the water, but I realize my new cert taught me enough to keep me alive in good conditions. I just don't want to learn the hard way that a sore back will ruin the day for my buddy, or put me at risk.

So I pulled a muscle in my lower back last weekend and have mostly recovered. Driving is still a horrible experience, but other than that I'm pretty good. I haven't dove for 3 weeks now and really have the itch; especially since North Shore Oahu diving should be coming to a close soon. Other than getting from the road to the shoreline, should I be concerned? If I go this weekend it will be dive #7 & 8. I feel pretty good in the water, but I realize my new cert taught me enough to keep me alive in good conditions. I just don't want to learn the hard way that a sore back will ruin the day for my buddy, or put me at risk.

Do you think your back is going to feel okay when you hang 40-50lb of gear from it? kicking uses a lot of core muscles and putting fins on is going to require some dexterity that is not otherwise available with a back injury.

I get sore lower back once or twice a year (age, I guess). I am as careful as possible with it and put ointment on. It will recover as long as I don't make it worse, then it's a real problem. Same for sore neck. Diving would not be likely for me. Maybe you are a lot younger.

It's like the old joke. Doctor, it hurts when I do this. Well, then don't do that.

The real question is more how will your back react to gearing up, carrying 40 to 50 lbs on your back, then getting into the ocean itself. All activities have the potential to have your back pain flare up. And if it does, how effectivly can you deal with the pain and then have the ability to cope with the situation and end the dive safely. Problem is that you may not know until it happens and then it is too late when you realize you are in a bad situation.

If you must dive, at least try putting your gear on at home and find out in your living room how your back will handle the weight. You might even lie down on the floor or sofa and simulate kicking. Make a few quick turns with the gear to see what happens when you twist. I'd also recommend that you take Advil or similar about an hour before your dive just to have a little pain relief on board already. I'd avoid any stronger prescription pain med as it will likely cause some degree of sedation and motor skill impairment.

I agree with those that recommend giving your back a little longer to heal. Soft tissue injuries need on thing to heal - time. That said, if you do go diving, have a buddy lug you gear to the water and put it on and remove it in the water. I have a friend with a "bad back" who allows me to perform this service for him when we dive together. DivemasterDennis

Go snorkeling. :wink:
When driving is back to a normal experience and you can twist right and left without grimacing then go diving.

Thanks for the input. Never thought about snorkeling (feel pretty dumb for that lol) much better today, but still not 100%. Sounds like a day at the beach for the family.

I would try something on southshore like Electric Beach where the shoreline is more user friendly before trying something more advanced like Turtle Cove (Rocks), Shark Cove (Rocks) or 3-Tables (Deep sand) that require dexterity and agility to negotiate your way to the water.

Aloha! If you haven't made it out yet I would check the surf forecast. Both the North and West Side are getting some serious waves right now. Might have to be a beach day on the south shore or over on the east side if you want to get in the water with the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom