Why don't split fins work so well in current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers tend to buy gear, and then convince themselves it is good, because they bought it.
This is true about training and any assumed dive modalities as well. It's the "If I don't dive it, teach it or sell it, then it must be crap" philosophy found among so many divers. I know that I can fall into this and it's why I work so hard to embrace diversity in diving. In the final analysis, no single fin works well for all divers. It's incredibly important that you temper what you read here on ScubaBoard with your own experience while trying to understand the perspective of the poster. I simply do not flutter kick except in extreme situations. My opinions about what fins are exceptional will vary greatly from the average Scuba diver and from any free diver. Some people embrace currents, while I avoid them.

In reality, divers will adopt themselves to the gear they dive with. They often find that if/when they change gear that their adaptations may not be appropriate for the new gear and this could lead to frustration and a very negative opinion about the gear. It's important that when you buy gear, that you understand how to use that gear efficiently and then give yourself some time to re-adopt your style to utilize it efficiently. Put me in a different fin, like my Mares Volo Racer, and in a short order of time, my finning technique morphs into something that works for that fin. Give me enough time and I'll either love it or hate it. If I can morph my technique to the point that it appears that I am using less effort (gas) to do the same dive then I'll love it. If after a modicum of time I am still fighting the fin, then I am going to hate it. Nail some boards to my feet and I might be happy. I am one of the slowest divers on the planet. No, not because I can't swim fast and I'll wager that few could really keep up with me when it comes to that, while some like Dan could swim circles around me. Rather, it's because of the way I look for cool stuff. Well, at least stuff that's cool to me. :D It's why I have found 706 shark teeth on a single dive at Venice Beach. That's my style of diving and really, any fin is better than no fin. At the moment of this writing though, if you see me in the water I'll probably be wearing Hollis' F1, aka the Bat Fin, or Mares Volo Race full foot fin. That doesn't mean that I would not try any other fins. Like I said: I am open to diversity.

Last edited:
What we need is a big demo event at the BHB Marine Park....call it a Fin-a-rama, or Fin-a- polooza, or " DDR.......DEMA-DONE-RIGHT"....
We get the really good fin makers to show up, with demo fins for divers to try. We can buy or borrow all the crummy fins --the majority of makes, for all the divers at the BHB to try in comparison.

We could have people swimming around doing some fun testing, and we could even do a fun based, psuedo-compettion using some of the Ultimate Dive Challenge control courses they made from PVC, and some speed runs....as a "sport event", I could probably get this funded by the Palm Beach County sports commission, so the only question, do we have a "Field of Dreams" or not...If we build it, would people come?

As much as I would love to do an event like this, maybe throw in a fun photo-triathlon, I get the feeling divers just don't care about trying fins, or about going to event creations like this.... I would love to hear reactions you guys have to this....

What we need is a big demo event at the BHB Marine Park....call it a Fin-a-rama, or Fin-a- polooza, or " DDR.......DEMA-DONE-RIGHT"....
We get the really good fin makers to show up, with demo fins for divers to try.

We have actually done this with Force Fins at Weeki Watchee and at Forty Fathom Grotto. Attendance was horrid and I felt bad for Bob having come all the way from the land of Fruits and Nuts only to languish here for a few days in paradise. :D :D :D Those who came had a blast, including Bob and myself.

We can buy or borrow all the crummy fins
This is where we differ. Most fins are simply awesome! They allow people with little or no time in the water to become easily proficient at moving themselves around in the ocean with a modicum of effort. Are some better than others? It's all relative at this point as it really depends on the diver, their finances, their environment, their mission and their technique. I primarily dove Jet Fins from 1969 until just a couple of years ago and really didn't like any other fins that I tried. That didn't make those other fins "crummy". They were just inappropriate for me and my diving. I would love to see us move past the idea that fins have to be either loved and adopted or relegated to being "crap". Let's keep an open mind in regard to the diversity of divers, techniques and environments that are out there. What you might hate and perceive as crap may be just perfect for another diver. No one should feel that they have chosen "crap" when in actuality their chosen fin is a perfect solution for them.

This is where we differ. Most fins are simply awesome! They allow people with little or no time in the water to become easily proficient at moving themselves around in the ocean with a modicum of effort. Are some better than others? It's all relative at this point as it really depends on the diver, their finances, their environment, their mission and their technique. I primarily dove Jet Fins from 1969 until just a couple of years ago and really didn't like any other fins that I tried. That didn't make those other fins "crummy". They were just inappropriate for me and my diving. I would love to see us move past the idea that fins have to be either loved and adopted or relegated to being "crap". Let's keep an open mind in regard to the diversity of divers, techniques and environments that are out there. What you might hate and perceive as crap may be just perfect for another diver. No one should feel that they have chosen "crap" when in actuality their chosen fin is a perfect solution for them.

Which is exactly why the dive industry...or the diving universe, really NEEDS the demo days for fins, where people can try everything, and then see for THEMSELVES if one is good or bad for them, and how much they can tell the differences between the different fins. It's like with politics....as long as apathy rules, we will have obamafication :D

*** Now if we can just work religion into this post, we will have the full scubaboard trifecta for a thread that can get everyone upset:D

*** Now if we can just work religion into this post, we will have the full scubaboard trifecta for a thread that can get everyone upset:D
Didn't someone mention DIR already??? :D :D :D
:eek:h:

Oh! That's gonna leave a mark!​

I've played with Split fins and tried diving with them but they dont seem to have the torque or thrust, maybe its my kick style, maybe its just a personal bias.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by danvolker
Divers tend to buy gear, and then convince themselves it is good, because they bought it.

I paid $200 for a pair of ScubaPro Sea-wing Nova's and I was GOING to make them work for me, turns out it was a very good choice and I was instantly happy with them. I have loaned them to other divers and all have been very impressed with them, I tried some other "plain" long fins & "Split Fins" felt like I was kicking forever & going nowhere. I'm still extremely happy with them.

The only issue I have found was that other people were reporting the Nova's were having a durability problem with the "Articulated Joint Technology" and have heard of several ppl that have had them break between 50-70 Dives, Made me go dig mine out of the bag and flex-check the joints, nope... no signs of wear.

I'm not saying they are the greatest thing on the market, I'm saying they are the greatest for me.

I'm going to Pura Vida this weekend to see if they will let me demo one of the sets of splits on the shelf :wink:

Yeah, well that might work better if someone ( you or me, or someone) had already had a good talk with them about getting a demo program going for fins.
I think I may have mentioned it in the past to them, but never moved it far enough for it to go any place. They would want the manufactures to assist in this, to be sure, but there are a few other ways this could happen....

But, hey, ask to demo the fins, with a straight face :)
Don't say I put you up to it :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom